• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sidelock Bull Elk Harvest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on a beautiful bull and wonderful hunt and story. Looks pretty steep, how did you get him out?
It rained all night and while we cut him up and hung the meat in a tree. Roads and trails were too slick and steep for the horses. Eight of us hiked back 2.5 miles from the road to pack him out. It was a labor of love.

Thats a great hunt. Hauling him out is when one knows who his friends are! I have passed on some dandy bulls/bucks cuz I wasn't sure I could find that many friends! Last one was a cow. My buddy bedded her down, called me walked me in 1 mile + and they were gone! They had only moved though. Gettin dark. Starting to rain. CANYON (but only 120 yd shot, VERY doable. He was shocked when I informed him I didn't intend to shoot the cow, hike up and down to her, clean her (in hthedark/rain), quarter her, make two trips back and forth all the while getting soaked and listening to her calf's mew for their momma. I'm a meat hunter but meat aint always worth it. Them calf's mewing could have taken the hunter outta me for sure😶

Congrats on great hunt, kill and story. Still out in the woods after ml elk ended the 17th to pre scout for next year and eat fresh grouse. Nice 6 x 6. How easy does that Green Mountain Long range stainless steel clean up? How fast is the twist on it?

Congrats on great hunt, kill and story. Still out in the woods after ml elk ended the 17th to pre scout for next year and eat fresh grouse. Nice 6 x 6. How easy does that Green Mountain Long range stainless steel clean up? How fast is the twist on it?
It clean ups nicely. Much quicker and easier than my blued sidelock barrels.
It has a 1-28'' twist. Shoots heavy conicals really well. Have not tried, but should shoots sabots good as well.

It rained all night and while we cut him up and hung the meat in a tree. Roads and trails were too slick and steep for the horses. Eight of us hiked back 2.5 miles from the road to pack him out. It was a labor of love.
As the old saying goes,

You have to hunt where the elk are!

That is why all your hunting partners should be younger and strong!

Was it your brother that was hunting unit 76?

How did his hunt go?

Was it your brother that was hunting unit 76?

How did his hunt go?
It was my buddy who hunted Unit 76. He said he missed a 135 yd shot at a nice 6x6 the first hour of the first day of his hunt. He had a hang fire on another bull a few days later. He saw lots of nice bulls but could not get within open sights muzzleloader distance of them. He went home without an elk.

It was my buddy who hunted Unit 76. He said he missed a 135 yd shot at a nice 6x6 the first hour of the first day of his hunt. He had a hang fire on another bull a few days later. He saw lots of nice bulls but could not get within open sights muzzleloader distance of them. He went home without an elk.
Thanks for the update, sound like he had some great memories.

The video footage that I have seen of unit 76, you need a hollow rock to hide in.

The elk were out in the open with no cover or way to approach.

Latest posts

Back