• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to find Muzzleloader shoots/shooting competitions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently reignited my fascination with all things muzzleloader. I have searched around my area for muzzleloader shoots. I would like to attend one. I expect my first trip to be a spectator since I am unsure of rules and how strict of PC weapon I need. I currently shoot a TC PA Hunter. I have searched all over the net to find both information but with little luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out more? The woods walk from what I have found seems like a lot of fun. On a bright side my sportsman club I belong to has said if I want to run a shoot they would host it. I need to educate myself first before attempting that. My location is south Central PA.

I'd think with your location, there would be a few clubs in shouting distance. Could be wrong though.

And Woods Walks, by far my favorite event. Shooting with some buds, giving each other grief, not aiming for a dot, good times!

From what I have been told there use to be a lot, unfortunately the ML crowd in this area got older or to busy and it dropped off. I was at a modern gun shoot last week and I was able to find a few that were interested in participating in it. I think that if I can run a shoot or 2 it may take off a little again. I will join the nmlra and work on putting something together.

What about looking for rendezvous clubs? They tend to go hand in hand with shooting. That's how myself and most of my friends got into it.

Or reenactments if that's your thing. Seems like a good starting point too.

there is a two day shoot at st. Thomas sportsman association. may 20-21. they are shooters if your rifle has standard open sights no peep sights. loads from the front you can shoot. they even have a target for inliners.

St Thomas is 20 min from me so I will go check it out. Thanks not sure how I missed that. Usually I see those things posted at the local outdoor store or gas station.

I'm sure I have a nssa unit around me. I live about 40 min from Gettysburg. Thanks to everyone for all the good info in such a short time. I have looked different places for a few months and didn't want to post the question here since I thought it should be easy to find shooting opportunities. Plus felt a little stupid asking guys where can I shoot at in my area. Thanks for not busting my stones about it.
I have checked all of the website out and I'm going to join nmlra tomorrow, and try to contact the guy running the shoot at the St Thomas sportsman. On there web site it doesn't say open to everyone so I figured I would call and ask. Plus get an idea on what to bring to shoot.

it is open to all. I have shot there for years and am not a member.

sad to say many of the clubs no longer have shoots. use to be there was a shoot every weekend sundays in pa. saturday in md . even in the winter.

In addition to the NMLRA website that lists clubs, and often there are links to the clubs to get the local club's location and shooting schedule...,

You could subscribe to Smoke & Fire News which lists living history events from Roman through CW and I think as late as WWII, plus rifle events when applicable.

LD

These are a couple couple events that are sort of a drive from you, but maybe you don't mind that:

The Marriottsville Muzzle Loaders outside of Baltimore are pretty active. They have shoots with a fair bit of regularity and have a really nice range. I do not believe they have a period-correct rifle requirement, though I don't think they allow optics/glass in the sights.

The NSSA National competition in Winchester, VA is worth checking out, if that's not too far for you. I believe that's next weekend (May 20-21). You won't be able to participate with your rifle, but worth going to see and maybe buy a period rifle.

Bull Run Muzzle Loaders are in Centreville, VA and shoot on the third Sunday morning of every month. The rules are pretty loose on guns in competition - just no glass/optics in the sights. No period-correct requirement.

Look up and join the Pa.federation of black powder shooters. They publish a hand book of all federation clubs shoot dates and directions. My home club is Union county muzzleloaders. We have our big rondyvoos on labor day weekend. You and your TC will be welcome. We have a primitive camp area and a area where modern camps can set up out of eyesight of each other. BJH

Thanks for all the info, been busy with both my kids baseball, so I haven't been on the internet much. I just got back from the range to make sure my FL was shooting ok. I haven't shot it in about 2 months.

Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers holds a woods walk. It won't start up again until January however and runs for 12 weeks. I shot it for the first time this year. Good people and good time

Latest posts

Back