• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRS Wheellock building. Who can put one together?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... the wheel itself only rotates but 3/4-qtrs a turn at most, plus cam open the pan cover, so they need tremendous torque, but we knew what you meant ;).

FWIW when Brian Anderson built that kit he found 1/2 the parts to be unusable ...
He said he didn't regard it as a kit but more of a dare. It was his impression that whoever set up the molds didn't know the purpose of the parts and so left sprues in the wrong places and allowed vital hollow places to get filled in.

He said he didn't regard it as a kit but more of a dare. It was his impression that whoever set up the molds didn't know the purpose of the parts and so left sprues in the wrong places and allowed vital hollow places to get filled in.

I found that on some wheel lock kits, (same with some miqulete kits) making some parts from scratch just worked better for me. The 4130, and 4140 steel is very tough to work on for parts that pin together and latch together, often found on wheel locks, with mild steel these parts can be copied, forged and even milled to better quality.

As I said I've put together 2 of those locks using their parts, maybe I was 4 times luckier.
One must remember that Brian Anderson is at once an extremely talented blacksmith, gunsmith, artist, and craftsperson.

So while lay people - like you or me - could put one together, yes … for someone like him, with his experience, it was far easier and results in a better product, by forging a new part for himself, versus trying to make the POS part from TRS ‘fit’.

It is all perspective and experience. My caution is more directed to others, that a TRS wheellock kit is not even approaching the level of assembly that a Chambers flintlock lock kit requires; they are not for the inexperienced nor faint of the heart.

Latest posts

Back