• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One of the 1st Hand Gonnes - Tannenberg Castle replica, circa late 1300s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just completed the staining of the tiller for this one, but I need to find a blacksmith to make me a proper SPIKE tip.

This is a 62-caliber brass barrel model, that TRS used to sell for $200 (they unfortunately don't list it anymore), that is very similar to the gonne found in the ruins of Tannenberg Castle that was destroyed in 1399. It was found in the water well of the destroyed castle and some believe it to be the oldest surviving firearm from Germany.

Below it is an original owned by the late Michael 'Matchlock' Tromner, that I roughtly copied ... although in retrospect when I was wood-burning the motifs, I should have left the '-->' out. Anyways, it sure turns heads at the range and it is a feakin' HOOT to shoot! After a few shots one can easily keep it 'on paper' out to 50yds; the farthest I've tried it.

THG01.jpg

THG02.jpg

THG03.jpg

THG04.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that's a real beauty! I imagine if the spike wouldn't do the trick the business end of it would repel door-to-door salespeople. Very nice work, indeed. I'm still trying to convince myself I need to buy the barrel then make one.

"Just completed the staining of the tiller for this one, but I need to find a blacksmith to make me a proper SPIKE tip."

Jeff Miller would be good for the forged, spike tip.

Great job Flint. Really like the decoration on the tiller.

I remember Michael mentioning that what was interesting was the decoration on the original tiller. That people attempted to decorate their gun stocks even this far back.

Rick

What’s your go to process for shooting the handgonne at the range? It seems like a not enough hands problem.
First off ... planned 'match mgt' is key! Where is that 'fire when you're handling a lit punk or matchcord, or even a simple lighter?

Ignition
Simple - Use modern cannon safety fuse into the touch hole, light fuse away from powdah of course ... VERY good for beginners!​

Traditional - Lit piece of tinger fungus or punk on an ~18" stick, where I place the stick upright in a weighted can at the closest edge of the range bench, in-between shots, well away from any powder​
Mounting: I like shooting it with the tiller (pole) over my shoulder, as I can sight down the pole akin to a flint smoothbore. I hold/aim it with one hand and light it with the other free hand. One hand holds it fine, the recoil isn't much. Some shoot them with it tucked up high under their arm.

"Just completed the staining of the tiller for this one, but I need to find a blacksmith to make me a proper SPIKE tip."

Jeff Miller would be good for the forged, spike tip.

Great job Flint. Really like the decoration on the tiller.

I remember Michael mentioning that what was interesting was the decoration on the original tiller. That people attempted to decorate their gun stocks even this far back.

Rick
There was a Mr Brad Spear lived in St Augustine Florida or did in 1995 offered a short ' hande gonne' with the longhaired bearded figure of a man over looking the vent brass or bronze . He ordered a stamp & I took two of then to cover it But others HAD to have them so never fitted one up I should make a pattern & get one cast copied after original its photo appears in some coffee table book I might find it out should make some .Morko gun rings a bell ,but could be wrong traded it at an SCA event Near Pensic .Newcastle PA I think .
Rudyard's reminisces

Latest posts

Back