• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7 question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired a Pietta brass frame .36 caliber 1851 Navy
revolver. I am currently using 20 grains of 777 fffg but I was doing some research online that leads me to believe that may be excessive. I'm new to BP revolvers and don't want to damage my pistol. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Agreed. My buddy, sitting here with me right now, shoots 12gr by weight in his steel frame Second series Colt, and 10gr BW in his brass frame Pietta.

I've shot both pistols with both loads recently, and they seem to be very effective, in spite of what seems like a low load.

Remember that T7 does NOT like compression - says so right there in the Hodgdon loading manual.

A black powder substitute that you can't compress? Seems like that is only good for unmentionable guns.

A Dixie Gunworks catalog recommends 15 grains of 3Fg black powder in their brass frame .36 cal revolvers.

T7 is a hotter, more powerful powder than 3Fg black powder so a lighter 12 grain load would be about right.

After dumping the powder into the chambers you might want to add some corn meal on top to help fill the chamber.
This will keep the T7 down next to the nipple after the ball is loaded.

What Hodgdon’s said about compression was concerning loading brass. For other loadings it stated to seat the projectile firmly on the powder. I emailed them a couple of times asking if they’d define “firmly” but they never felt like responding.

I have read that 777 should be backed off 10% by bulk from a black powder load to get equivalent power. I load 20 to 25 grains of 777 in a 44 Remington Pietta and I agree that 20 grains would be mighty stout in a 36. People who know also seem to agree that brass frames should be treated gently. Keep in mind that I do not claim to be an authority or expert. I'm not trying to insult you, but you are using a measure and not a scale for your 20 grains? Please don't be offended.

I have a 1860 colt replica, which I shot for 20 years or so, and never had a chain-fire. When 777 came out I thought I'd try it. Fired a cylinder off, seemed like great stuff. Loaded her up again, and on the second shot, yep, three cylinders went off. (and blew the loading lever latch off) Last time I used anything except black powder in a black powder gun. Just a heads-up, FYI, could have been a one in a million thing, but thought you'd like to know.

Latest posts

Back