• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ratchefrachett!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[A Preacher friend's cuss word] I purchased a 1987 Navy Arms by Pietta 1860 Colt revolver [brass frame]. It was destined to be modified externally. It was purchased with some damage to the wedge and other tiny dents/dings. It took me all of an hour to repair the damage and retouch some bluing. Ratchefrachett! It is near perfect, 36 years old, and looks almost new. Bore is pristine, bluing is as manufactured [my touch up was only to damage repair]. 😪 I cannot make myself change it, so it goes with my other 9 revolvers on display. I have insisted that I am not a revolver guy~ hmmmm? I am now looking for another 1851 or 1860 Colt repro that works well but looks bad. I still want to age one but, blast it, I simply can't harm this old rascal.. OK, I'm through venting! Dale 🦨 Polecat :horseback:

Aging shouldn't be viewed as "harming" a handgun that is banged up or had some rust damage. Remove the nipples, and then place the frame, cylinder, hammer and barrel assembly parts submerged into an Evaporust bath. After 24 hours remove those parts, rinse, and then...,
Apply the new finish, ;) by slathering on some yellow mustard (yes the condiment) onto the metal, and allow the vinegar to stain the metal. When the mustard has dried hard and brownish, knock it off with an old, clean toothbrush, and repeat. Then rinse the parts with a little baking soda in water, followed by plain water, then apply some rust preventative. At that point you may decide there is too much staining, and you can polish it back with some very fine emery paper and oil, or leave it alone. Then reassemble, replace the nipples, and voila, an antiqued finish, newly applied.
LD

It’s not a hot dog. Use it. Shoot it. A few extended field trips will produce a patina far more convincing than anything you’ll get from friggin’ mustard.

Honest wear gun metal gray is the best color in the world, but avoid the artificial and contrived - even on a brass Sixty.

Aging shouldn't be viewed as "harming" a handgun that is banged up or had some rust damage. Remove the nipples, and then place the frame, cylinder, hammer and barrel assembly parts submerged into an Evaporust bath. After 24 hours remove those parts, rinse, and then...,
Apply the new finish, ;) by slathering on some yellow mustard (yes the condiment) onto the metal, and allow the vinegar to stain the metal. When the mustard has dried hard and brownish, knock it off with an old, clean toothbrush, and repeat. Then rinse the parts with a little baking soda in water, followed by plain water, then apply some rust preventative. At that point you may decide there is too much staining, and you can polish it back with some very fine emery paper and oil, or leave it alone. Then reassemble, replace the nipples, and voila, an antiqued finish, newly applied.
LD
I agree, but this gun was purchased expecting some real damage. It was very simple; some ignorant person did not know how to remove the wedge, so he took a metal tool [probably a screwdriver] and beat the right, small end. The edges were curled enough to prevent removal. Carefully removing the curl with a knife, allowed normal removal. The damage was repaired with a fine file and some bluing. The other dings were almost unnoticeable. It now looks nearly new. Some, here on the forum, think trying to age a gun when, originally, they would have been near new, is not a good idea. I simply wanted a gun with which to experiment, satisfy myself on the issue, without spending many bucks. I will wait for one banged up enough to be wasted if I decide that's what has been done. That's my thinking FWIW. BTW, I have used vinegar to remove bluing, but I have Evaporust as well. Thank you Dave Dale

Back