• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trail Food & Camp Food Research Source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

A long time ago, just after the American Civil War, Camping and Hiking and Canoeing as a pastime began to become popular, and by the last quarter of the 19th century they had caught on in the East of the United States as well as the UK. George Washington Sears, aka Nessmuk, wrote for a magazine called Forest and Stream in the 1880's, and also penned a manual for camping called Woodcraft in 1884. Nessmuk is a pretty famous name in the history of backpacking and canoeing, and inspired many folks to follow his example...

Following in his footsteps..., Horace Kephart..., before the founding of the Boy Scouts of America and long before there was such a thing as Hudson Trail Outfitters, or REI, or Eddie Bauer, and even before the founding of LL Bean..., wrote a book called Camping and Woodcraft. You can find it online, and you can get reprints of it from Amazon.

Why is this important to us, and why am I posting this under Camp Cooking?

Because Mr. Kephart does a pretty good job of documenting camping and woods skills, AND for those of us who cook in camp, or make trail rations for treks, he discusses the various foods one can use for back packing or a stationary camp. More importantly, he discusses what really works as rations, vs. what looks good on paper.

This was at a time when everything was DIY, as most of our trail foods are today if we keep within a historic context. He includes his sources for his conclusions, stemming from military research of several nations, as well as research by artic explorations, etc., as well a personal experience hiking and hunting in the Ozarks. He includes dressing wild game, as well as ingredients bought and carried, and recipes.

IF you don't think you want all the additional camping skills information, shelter construction, DIY bug repellent recipes, traveling light advice, construction of your own equipment, then you might want to opt for just the cooking information which may be found in a book that's an excerpt, and titled Camp Cookery. (I have a copy of this as the full Camping and Woodcraft manual is rather hefty to be used when experimenting in the kitchen :wink: )

You can find Camping and Woodcraft online
FREE at the "Hathi Trust". You can also find a FREE version of Camp Cookery online at the same website.

:thumbsup:

LD

I've had all three in my library for decades now along with,
Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger (1945)
Camping and Woodcraft is a must have, it's as much an encyclopedic resource as it is a casual read.

Back