• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Rifles-Woodsman Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new Crockett last year:

80BA7F05-7FF6-439A-B453-99B8989DD5D5.jpeg

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am with it. Balance and handling are superb. Sights are excellent. Accuracy is phenomenal. I love it so much.

As in any hobby, there can be elitists that look down on less expensive equipment even though it can work just fine. Traditions makes a fine rifle that is affordable for the everyman. You don’t need to drop multiple thousands of dollars on a handmade bespoke custom rifle to have fun in this hobby.

Well I have one that is about 4 months old, very accurate rifle, but today it had a problem. I have maybe40 shots thru this gun so far (.50 cal patched balls, 75-80 hrs FFg ). So today I load my first round , raise the rifle cocktail hammer, set the rear trigger and touch off the shot, just like it is supposed to. I load my second round raise the rifle and cock the hammer and it goes off, I hadn’t set the rear trigger or touched the trigger. Uhm! Round went down range so no safety issue. But now the hammer will not cock and stay back. I brought it home , when I removed the lock see nothing obviously wrong, holding the lock in my hand and pulling the hammer it sets like it is supposed to, the triggers seem to set normal. But when I put the lock back in the gun and try to cock the gun I get the same thing. I cannot see anything wrong? Monday I will try and get a hold of Traditions.
The trigger bars are being pulled too deeply into the trigger mortise. The set trigger bar is keeping the sear in the lock from entering the full cock notch. Put a shim (thin cardboard) under the trigger plate and don't overtighten the screws that hold the trigger plate in place. I prefer to shim out the plate to perhaps removing the case hardening on the trigger lever.

This happens to a lot of us. I do assume that you made no adjustments to the set triggers.

I have tried adjusting the set triggers when I didn’t see anything obvious . The manual says the rear most screw should be turned all the way in until it stops then turned back one turn, that screw was backed out maybe .120 thousand.

I have the same rifle, I love it. It's a Springfield Hawken. To bad it's been discontinued. :confused:
I just bought my Dad a like new Traditions Springfield Hawken 50cal from GunBroker for $190 after taxes and shipping. I hope it will be accurate for him.

Latest posts

Back