• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Mountain Rifle .50 calibre "assembly".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain rifle stripped and ready to be reshaped starting tomorrow!

Mountain ready to be reshaped 2.jpg

LMAO, you guys have embarrassed me to the point where I decided tonight that this will just not cut it no matter what other things I have going on.
A sincere thanks on my part!

Now here it is at it sets tonight.... major changes ahead, but they will be slowly done.... heheh, at least this one I have shot!

I've reshaped the cheek piece on a T/C Hawken from what I call a beavertail shape to what I call a pancake shape. It looks somewhat English, but is now also reminence of some plains rifles. It helps keeping the gun look exactly like every other T/C.

Likewise, I have an Interarms Hawken that the previous owner worked over quite a bit. The cheek piece is now shaped like those on longrifles, sort of straight lined.

Looking over an Armi San Marco Hawken I can see there is plenty of wood there to reshape into a nice shadow line cheek piece. Maybe someday I'll tackle it. It sure is a nice piece of wood and ought to be allowed to look other than clunky.

The joy of a kit is in making it not look like every other kit built gun.

I've reshaped the cheek piece on a T/C Hawken from what I call a beavertail shape to what I call a pancake shape. It looks somewhat English, but is now also reminence of some plains rifles. It helps keeping the gun look exactly like every other T/C.

Likewise, I have an Interarms Hawken that the previous owner worked over quite a bit. The cheek piece is now shaped like those on longrifles, sort of straight lined.

Looking over an Armi San Marco Hawken I can see there is plenty of wood there to reshape into a nice shadow line cheek piece. Maybe someday I'll tackle it. It sure is a nice piece of wood and ought to be allowed to look other than clunky.

The joy of a kit is in making it not look like every other kit built gun.

Totally agree, and here is the proof I am actually going to do this.... Heheh,
I could not wait until tomorrow to start, so I started to reshape the stock at the top to look as much as I can muster to an original Hawken.
Almost there, but I need to reduce the radius a bit on top..... yeah, I could not wait until tomorrow to start.

Stock reshape 1.jpg

Next is the cheek, and I do like this a lot!

SHawkenFSCheek_zpsd3mfhltu.jpg

Easy now,, take some time for the holiday.
Maybe some reading/viewing time is due, ;)

Naah, I have had this in the back of my somewhat empty head since I started this assembly.
LOL, it is all good, and I sincerely did want to do this from the get go, but did not want to take the time!
At least I got to shoot it a couple of times before I totally muck it up! Heheh

It is getting late, so I had better stop for now.
Here is my progress so far.....

Modified the cheek area, not enough wood there to do a true Hawken style like I posted above, but much better in my book.
Reduced the size by about 25%, and I still need to get the radius correct / better on the butt side, but a good start for today.

The shadow of stain is where it was previously off to the right and below.

Modified cheek.jpg

Modified the non lock side mount.... yeah, I like it better already.
No longer looks like a 2X4, I just need to pick a basic shape to finalize it and mirror to the other side.

Reshaped 2x4 heheh.jpg

To be continued over the next few days...….
Thanks for the motivation guys, seriously!

Calling this one done for now.
Reshaped the "2x4" around the lock panels, cut the drop on the stock deeper to fit my hands better, removed some of the lock panel at the rear of the lock panel to smooth it out a bit for a more comfortable grip on the trigger, and used tung oil this time..... not all that fond of tung oil..... long dry times.
I may try tru-oil next time.... we shall see when and if that happens.

finished 1.jpg

finished 2.jpg

finished 3.jpg

finished 4.jpg

finished 5.jpg

Wow, nicely done assembly, ;)
You've got a great finish on the sanded wood.

"migwéch"
Translation, thank you in Potawatami.
Local native American tribe I am trying to learn a few phrases in.
I truly need to meet someone that can speak it fluently for the proper way to say it in conversation.

I tell you this though, I have about had it with "beechwood"!
Tough to shape decently without flaking or chipping, tough to sand smoothly to my liking, and dang near impossible to stain and still let the grain to show as I like it.
Only 6 more coats of tung oil left to do..... (that means at least 6 more days)….
I just had to assemble it today to get a better picture of how it looked overall, and it is "ok" for now.

The hardest part was reducing the cheekpiece 25%..... dang near threw the whole stock in the trash and ordered a new one two days ago, but I managed to work my way out of it ...…. again, despite my cold I caught Christmas eve.

I have relatively small hands, so the reduction in the lock plate on the lock side behind the trigger, and the reduction in the stock drop at the comb, really makes it feel good to me.
I can grip it quite quickly and naturally now, without having to adjust to the size and shape of the original stock.
It just literally falls into place quickly.

Last edited:
Yup, I am still playing with this one as time permits, and the "Tung Oil / wiping varnish" finish.....
I do like to try new to me things.
Too Glossy?

The fit, stock wise for my body and hands, is good and quite comfortable now, I am just not sure about the finish.
8 coats as of today, I may knock it back a bit.
Too glossy 1.jpg

I am still working on this danged blamed trigger guard..... It fits flush with the stock when not tightly mounted, but needs to be bent a bit more away from the triggers quite a bit more.

Too glossy 2.jpg

Too glossy.jpg

Also, I have come to the conclusion I will never be a truly good builder to the quality and standards that some on here have achieved, so I think I will just stick with the "kits" I have grown rather fond of building over the past few months, and admire the work that many do achieve on this forum.

Bad eyes, shaky hands, etc. have humbled my aspirations and ambitions.

I will build one or two more "assemblies", but just for the personal gratification and relaxation I get from doing it.

You all have been an inspiration and mentors of sorts, so thanks for the opportunity to interact!

I am not going away, and I will continue to be a supporting member due to the information, skill and history available here, I am just not going in the direction I thought I would.....

Heheh, I am going to begin chasing a "slightly" different firearms related venue this coming summer that does not require sanding, staining, drilling, nor assembly and is more turn of the century, but still black powder related!

This thread was very helpful to me! I started this kit last night. I got the flint kit. Was scratching my head at the trigger guard for quite some time. I’m going to try clamps! The only part wrong in the kit was a percussion nipple was included istead of a touch hole liner, there were zero instructions as well. I’ve emailed traditions about the liner, no response yet.
Thank you again for taking the time to post this thread.

This thread was very helpful to me! I started this kit last night. I got the flint kit. Was scratching my head at the trigger guard for quite some time. I’m going to try clamps! The only part wrong in the kit was a percussion nipple was included istead of a touch hole liner, there were zero instructions as well. I’ve emailed traditions about the liner, no response yet.
Thank you again for taking the time to post this thread.

I am very glad that I have helped someone with this assembly post.
That was my initial reason for posting the "builds" I have done, and to get feedback from the more experienced builders.

If you go to the Traditions web page and find the kit you have, there is a tab to the right that is titled Support Files.
You can download and save that file and it has pretty good instructions for assembly and even finishing.

Also, during my dealings with Traditions I have found that a phone call is much better and faster than an email.
They take a while to answer the phone, but all of the people have been very receptive and helpful so far.

Enjoy the kit, take your time, and post a picture or two here when you git-er done!

Yup, I am still playing with this one as time permits, and the "Tung Oil / wiping varnish" finish.....
I do like to try new to me things.
Too Glossy?

The fit, stock wise for my body and hands, is good and quite comfortable now, I am just not sure about the finish.
8 coats as of today, I may knock it back a bit.
View attachment 2608Yeah, too glossy for me. Reminds me too much of those overdone Weatherby's of the '60s and '70s.

I am still working on this danged blamed trigger guard..... It fits flush with the stock when not tightly mounted, but needs to be bent a bit more away from the triggers quite a bit more.

View attachment 2609

View attachment 2605

Also, I have come to the conclusion I will never be a truly good builder to the quality and standards that some on here have achieved, so I think I will just stick with the "kits" I have grown rather fond of building over the past few months, and admire the work that many do achieve on this forum.

Bad eyes, shaky hands, etc. have humbled my aspirations and ambitions.

I will build one or two more "assemblies", but just for the personal gratification and relaxation I get from doing it.

You all have been an inspiration and mentors of sorts, so thanks for the opportunity to interact!

I am not going away, and I will continue to be a supporting member due to the information, skill and history available here, I am just not going in the direction I thought I would.....

Heheh, I am going to begin chasing a "slightly" different firearms related venue this coming summer that does not require sanding, staining, drilling, nor assembly and is more turn of the century, but still black powder related!

Back