• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A tip for newbies wanting to do inlets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When doing inlets of metal to wood, unless a guy gets carried with the chisel, we will always need to have the fit line or curve trimmed a tad. In case anyone is interested, here is what I do for curved inlets:

When the wood is removed to the depth, but still inside the marked line I use a ground (so teeth are right at end) off ended round file gripped in vicegrips. Then just gently rub (like sanding) the curved surface. Works good for me.
Larry
IMG_6292.jpeg

When doing inlets of metal to wood, unless a guy gets carried with the chisel, we will always need to have the fit line or curve trimmed a tad. In case anyone is interested, here is what I do for curved inlets:

When the wood is removed to the depth, but still inside the marked line I use a ground (so teeth are right at end) off ended round file gripped in vicegrips. Then just gently rub (like sanding) the curved surface. Works good for me.
Larry
View attachment 289769
I like that tip Larry.
Thank you.

Take Care Stay Safe

I like that idea, but what do the vice grips do for you?
Just try the file with and without the V grips. You will notice how your hands can control the file better and or give more pressure in the correct direction. To trim an edge the file should also be perpendicular to the work. To me the grips are a plus. If you don't like grips don't use them. Larry

Back