• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions kentucky rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Heap

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have this rifle, .50 cal I bought new as a kit and built. I've yet to get it to shoot right. I use hodgesons triple seven, 2F and 65 grains. It seems to shoot to the left no matter what I do, like four inches at 25 yards. I've tried less, and more powder, but it's always the same. I'd sure like to get it to shoot right. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You adjust the sight by taping them over in the dovetail some. Don't tap the sight itself, tap the base. Rear sight goes in the direction you want the impact to go. Right to move right. Front sight is just the opposite. You can just do the rear but if it looks too lop sided, you can do the front some too. Might check the sights first to see if maybe they are already off center.

Once you have them where you want, you can peen down the dove tail lightly with a ball peen hammer.

To get a close ballpark estimate that will give the distance the sights on your gun will need to be moved, multiply the distance between the front and rear sight times .0044.

For instance, if the distance between the front and rear sight is 15 inches, multiply 15 times .0044.
That equals .0667 or just a hair over 1/16"

If the distance between the front and rear sight is 25 inches, multiply 25 times .0044.
That equals .111 which is slightly less than 1/8".

As Mooman76 says, if you don't want to move just one sight that far, you can split the amount into something less and move the rear sight the smaller distance to the right. Then, move the front sight the remaining distance to the left. (aft looking forward).

Said another way, lets say the distance between the sights is 22 inches.
Multiplying 22 times .0044 we get .098".
That's a hair more than 3/32 but if we moved just one sight that far it would look bad.

After looking at the gun it seems moving the rear sight to the right 1/16 of an inch (.062") wouldn't look too bad so we can subtract the .062" from the .098" we need and that leaves .036".
.036" is just a hair more than 1/32 so we decide to move the sight 1/32" to the left.

Give it a try. I think you'll be pleased. :grin:

Oh. For folks wondering, that .0044 number came about by dividing the distance we want the shot to move at the target (4 inches) by the distance to the target (25 yards = 75 feet = 900 inches).
That looks like 4/900 = .0044

If the range or the distance we want the shot to move are not 4 inches at 25 yards, the answer will be something different.

thanks zonie, I appreciate the help. I'm headed up to the highlonesome in a week and will continue sighting in there, too warm down here in the desert already.

I'm EMBARRASED, I looked at the front sight and it sits off center to the right, so I moved it this morning, so I hope to get it sighted in now. When I built the kit, I thought I had it centered, but nope, it was off a good 1/16th of an inch, so It's centered now and I hope I can get it sighted in right so I can enjoy it. Sure appreciate all the help guys. :doh:

Back