• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Deerhunter Flinter 50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsieber

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying one to use for hunting. I'm not so much concerned with the traditional look so I'd go with the blued and black synthetic stock. This will be down the road, maybe spring time. I'm on a budget so I can't put a bunch of money in one and I've seen them for way south of $300 new. Anyone here have one? Opinions?

I like the TC Firestorm too but it's more money.

I think that a flintlock in a plastic stock rather misses the whole point, but that's just one guy's opinion, and no doubt worth what you just paid for it.

I'd look into a T/C Renegade, or one of the Lyman flintlocks. They're not as Period Correct as you might get, but they're a very good 'entry level' gun; reliable if the flint is properly set up, and fairly light on the wallet if you're willing to look around. I've had my Renegade for going on thirty years and i would never give it up.

Bottom line: i wouldn't do it, but i'd defend to the death you right to do it.

If you can find one you can afford, I would jump on it. You can always put money away to get a more traditional one down the road.

Andy

I kind of don't really want a "traditional" one, I'd prefer the plastic stock for hunting purposes since you don't have to care about them as much as a pretty tiger maple one. I have a traditional one now. I'd like to get a deer with it before buying another.

I guess muzzleloaders are like motorcycles, the perfect number of them to own is one more. :rotf:

I have one with a hardwood stock that I bought over 20 years ago. It is a percussion .50 and has taken many deer over the years. You don't have to worry over the wood stocks on these guns because they are not the kind of stocks you need to "take care of". They are rough and tumble and easily refinished if such a desire ever surfaces.

You may have to have some tinkering done with the lock to have it fire reliably, but then you may not. If you want a rifle that will kill deer and not ask to be pampered I recommend you get it. Just get a wood stock, if possible.

I picked up a used one for a song a couple of years ago. It's light, short and handy, like a caebine. I wanted it because it fit my 5 foot tall wife. Also, I could use it to let youngsters try a flintlock. It has been accurate enough for our target needs and very reliable. If a traditional look doesn't matter I think it would suit your hunting purposes.

Jeff

The Firestorm is going to be the easiest to get shooting good, quickly. Easily the best of that style gun. The others work well, too, so one of them may fit your budget better.

Back