• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Crockett Initial Impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After scouring the net and finally finding a new in box Traditions Crockett .32, I finally found one for sale out of a shop in Eudora, KS. I called to confirm it was actually there and they said it was the last one they had in stock. I bought it and it got delivered to my gun dealer today because unfortunately I live in Illinois and our stupid gun laws consider muzzleloaders under the same legality as firearms.

Went to the shop and to my dismay the 3 day waiting period hadn’t cleared, but I got to inspect the Crockett and let me tell you, it’s a beauty. It looks much nicer than the stoc photos on the net suggest. Instead of pale wood my particular rifle has a rich brown walnut color and some very nice grain to it. The fit and finish was above what I was expecting for sure. Nicely blued and polished metal, pretty case colors, brass thumb piece that I didn’t know these rifles had, it was just BEAUTIFUL.

Tested the lock and triggers for proper functioning and all was well. I wanted to take the gun home so bad but will have to wait another day or two. I bought this gun for squirrel hunting as I love to do it and enjoy eating squirrel’s meat a great deal. I’m usually not one for these mass produced guns and am more of a custom guy, but didn’t want to drop a bunch of money on a knock about squirreling piece, and the Crockett receives high marks here on this board.

I can now see why. I’ll get photos up and a range review as soon as I can. Stay tuned for more, gang!

-Smokey

Good deal but a waiting period for a muzzleloader? I guess I'm not surprised. Back in 1979 I bought a CVA Mountain Pistol kit in Warrensburg Missouri at a Wal-Mart and they made me fill out the federal form, no waiting period though. I don't think it was state law as I bought three cap and ball revolvers and flintlock rifle in Sedalia without filling out any form, over the counter sales.

I had a Crockett and it was very accurate, a bit of a rattle trap though. Maybe I just got one that wasn't put together well. The one you describe sounds like a winner, congratulations.

After scouring the net and finally finding a new in box Traditions Crockett .32, I finally found one for sale out of a shop in Eudora, KS. I called to confirm it was actually there and they said it was the last one they had in stock. I bought it and it got delivered to my gun dealer today because unfortunately I live in Illinois and our stupid gun laws consider muzzleloaders under the same legality as firearms.

Went to the shop and to my dismay the 3 day waiting period hadn’t cleared, but I got to inspect the Crockett and let me tell you, it’s a beauty. It looks much nicer than the stoc photos on the net suggest. Instead of pale wood my particular rifle has a rich brown walnut color and some very nice grain to it. The fit and finish was above what I was expecting for sure. Nicely blued and polished metal, pretty case colors, brass thumb piece that I didn’t know these rifles had, it was just BEAUTIFUL.

Tested the lock and triggers for proper functioning and all was well. I wanted to take the gun home so bad but will have to wait another day or two. I bought this gun for squirrel hunting as I love to do it and enjoy eating squirrel’s meat a great deal. I’m usually not one for these mass produced guns and am more of a custom guy, but didn’t want to drop a bunch of money on a knock about squirreling piece, and the Crockett receives high marks here on this board.

I can now see why. I’ll get photos up and a range review as soon as I can. Stay tuned for more, gang!

-Smokey
I live in Osage City. I was in Eudora last week.

Had I known then what I know now...

The Crockett is an amazing little rifle. I hunted with one for many years and it never failed me. Accuracy was as good as any custom rifle I've ever fired. I like the way they look and especially the way they shoot. I bought mine far enough back so that it came with a wood ramrod which I used for a spell but later made a rod for the rifle that was unbreakable. I deeply regret letting mine go.
PICT0433.jpg

You will love shooting that little gun, they are so much fun. Mine is amazingly accurate, one of the best shooting guns I've owned. You can load it with 15 or 20 grains of powder and shoot all day long. They are great squirrel rifles. I made a wooden rammer for mine out of an ash arrow shaft that I had because I didn't care for the looks or the feel of the metal one that came with it. Good luck with your Crockett. 👍

UPDATE:

I got in my beautiful Crockett today and after a thorough cleaning took it to the woods for initial reliability/function testing and load workup:

A0736FBC-A5DB-4472-ABB4-586C00C2676C.jpeg

Firing at 25 yards, my first load of 15 grains Olde Eynsford FFFg with .015” pillow ticking cut at the muzzle lubed with ToW mink oil and Hornady .310” swaged lead round balls gave a rather open group. After cleansing the bore of the piece I jacked up the charge to 20 grains and was rewarded with a handsome 5 shot group clustered near the bull:

9D85B031-EC38-4A90-B335-D75329C1C0C5.jpeg

Minus one flier the group measures under 1”. With such little load development and shooting off a shaky dead log this initial accuracy is very good. The arm recoiled very little, and was a joy to shoot. Zero misfires through about 15 rounds fired. The trigger is excellent when set and still good when unset.

E1097947-668A-42C0-BB23-08136A72F710.jpeg

This rifle is EXCELLENT. I feel it should produce excellent results vs. the tree-dwelling members of Order Rodentia. I enjoy squirrels meat and find it has a pleasing flavor and mouthfeel. I’m very glad I decided to seek out a Crockett after all this time and can’t wait to do more load work and eventual squirrel hunting with it.

Thanks gang!

They definitely are an appealing rifle! I was working on a kit but, got hung up and put it away. Decided to just order one complete so, did that today. Hopefully it will be here soon and I get out some. Thanks for sharing your shooting experience and info! :thumb:

UPDATE:

I got in my beautiful Crockett today and after a thorough cleaning took it to the woods for initial reliability/function testing and load workup:

View attachment 187030

Firing at 25 yards, my first load of 15 grains Olde Eynsford FFFg with .015” pillow ticking cut at the muzzle lubed with ToW mink oil and Hornady .310” swaged lead round balls gave a rather open group. After cleansing the bore of the piece I jacked up the charge to 20 grains and was rewarded with a handsome 5 shot group clustered near the bull:

View attachment 187034

Minus one flier the group measures under 1”. With such little load development and shooting off a shaky dead log this initial accuracy is very good. The arm recoiled very little, and was a joy to shoot. Zero misfires through about 15 rounds fired. The trigger is excellent when set and still good when unset.

View attachment 187032

This rifle is EXCELLENT. I feel it should produce excellent results vs. the tree-dwelling members of Order Rodentia. I enjoy squirrels meat and find it has a pleasing flavor and mouthfeel. I’m very glad I decided to seek out a Crockett after all this time and can’t wait to do more load work and eventual squirrel hunting with it.

Thanks gang!

Enjoy! That is the same make and model rifle I've been trying to find.

UPDATE:

View attachment 187030

View attachment 187034

View attachment 187032

Thanks gang!
How many shots did you shoot before having to run a patch down the barrel?

Thanks for the detailed info SP. It was very helpful as I have been considering a smaller caliber rifle and was looking at these. How is it to remove the barrel for cleaning? I understand it has a barrel wedge and a bolt through the tang in lieu of a breach hook.

Thanks, R.

Back