• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Crockett Initial Impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been thinking about a crocket. But I read somewhere that guys were saying when stabbing the bore there was a spot down by the drum that the patch would get caught and sometimes almost impossible to get the rod out due to bunched up patch.

I been thinking about a crocket. But I read somewhere that guys were saying when stabbing the bore there was a spot down by the drum that the patch would get caught and sometimes almost impossible to get the rod out due to bunched up patch.
Thread is somewhat older now. I have purchased a Crockett Squirrel Rifle since, put quite a few shots through it, thus cleaned it a lot. The only times I have encountered that was with a fairly dry cleaning patch with a dirty bore, as well as too large of patch while using a lightly wet patch with Windex. As long as the patch his wet enough (and the proper size) I have not encountered a problem with such. After running a wet enough patch or two down the barrel and following up with a dry patch I still encounter no issues.

Also, and I think this deserves to be mentioned, I took off to the mountains to squirrel hunt one morning and forgot to take any cleaning patches with me. I loaded and shot 10 times without cleaning the bore and still killed a squirrel on the 9th shot. And the rifle was fairly new with very few shots through it at that time. The patch/ball was getting a little hard to seat (due to the crud ring) but I believe it could have been loaded and shot at least several more times without cleaning.

EDIT: I will mention that, due to cutting a few cleaning patches too large, I did have to use a pair of pliers a few times to pull the ramrod back out of the bore while cleaning. I cut all my cleaning patches out of old white Tee shirts and a few can slip by that are a little on the large size. As mentioned above, as long as the cleaning patches are of the proper size, I have not had one stuck down in the bore.

Also, one major factor in that conundrum is the terrible stock ramrod that Traditions puts on their Crockett Rifles. The ramrod on mine is too small in diameter, as well as too short. So it makes it very difficult to grab ahold of when a tight cleaning patch situation arises down in the breech area. It is going to be replaced with a proper size ramrod the little .32 Crockett Rifle deserves.

Last edited:
I went to a gun show this morning and found a nice little unfired Traditions EDIT: Not a Crockett…a Deerhunter… 32 caliber. I thought $400 was a fair price for this piece. Can’t wait to see how how it performs on paper then hopefully on squirrels and rabbits.
83572DE7-5C3C-4BD5-A6EB-109172394149.jpeg

Last edited:
I went to a gun show this morning and found a nice little unfired Traditions Crockett 32 caliber. I thought $400 was a fair price for this piece. Can’t wait to see how how it performs on paper then hopefully on squirrels and rabbits.
View attachment 201493
Nice looking rifle but are you sure that's a Traditions Crockett .32 caliber? I suppose it could be but if it is, it's totally different than my Traditions .32 Crockett Rifle. Perhaps they made a different .32 Crocket Rifle that was not a .32 Crockett *Squirrel* Rifle model. Maybe it's an earlier model?

Either way, nice find.

Last edited:
I have definitely made a mistake. Not a Crockett. A Traditions Deerhunter 32 caliber.
It happens. Glad you got one anyway. I like shooting my .32 Crocket Rifle a lot. Just plain fun and economical to boot. I'm sure you will enjoy your new .32 Rifle.

Last edited:
Smokey i have a Traditions .32 and love it. I did use Mr. joe Woods crowing tool, touch holes at 25 yards.
I changed patch material from .015 cotton to .015 ticking. Before I needed a ball starter, but for whatever reason, now I do not. Not difficult at all to start the ball by using my fingers and running it home with the ramrod. They only other thing that changed was the patch lube. I watched a Youtube video of a fella squirrel hunting with a .32 Crockett noticed he never used a short starter either. That's where I got the idea of trying it on mine. I had thought about ordering a coning tool but found it is not needed, at least on my Crocket rifle.

I’m still playing with mine. Last evening I went to the range and shot awhile playing with different charges. I had been shooting 25 gns of 3f. Went down to 20 and shot better. Tried 15 and shot even better!

I’m shooting .311 balls and .020 ticking cut at the muzzle. Lube is 50-50 water and Murphy’s.

I’m having lots of fun tinkering with this gun.

I’m still playing with mine. Last evening I went to the range and shot awhile playing with different charges. I had been shooting 25 gns of 3f. Went down to 20 and shot better. Tried 15 and shot even better!

I’m shooting .311 balls and .020 ticking cut at the muzzle. Lube is 50-50 water and Murphy’s.

That's interesting. My accuracy diminished when I went from 20 grains 3F down to 15 grains. But that was not with TOTW Mink Oil for lube.

That's interesting. My accuracy diminished when I went from 20 grains 3F down to 15 grains. But that was not with TOTW Mink Oil for lube.
Yeah, I don’t know. I was real happy with 25 gns but last evening it wasn’t that great. Before 25 was better than 20. Don’t know. I had good light last evening too. It was cloudy. No glare on my sights. I’ll keep playing around with it. Squirrel season isn’t until September.

Jim K, that is the same set up i use.

I want one, if only to hang it above the fireplace. Very pretty and has the look we all love. With a horn and bag it is a perfect display piece.

Back