• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Hunters in Michigan, it's our time...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mi. DNR
Our goals in southern Michigan are to reduce the deer population.
If this were truly the reason, then I have to ask. Why was the fee for excess doe harvest permits increased from $4.00 to $10.00 this year? Here in my county the number of permits went up to 14,000 from 10,000 last year and those all sold out, but I'm seeing far fewer deer this year. Fewer dead deer on the roadside, fewer deer in my fields. I personally feel that it's about $$$ and not concern for the deer herd's well being.

Could I use my recurve bow in the early TRAD season?

If this were truly the reason, then I have to ask. Why was the fee for excess doe harvest permits increased from $4.00 to $10.00 this year? Here in my county the number of permits went up to 14,000 from 10,000 last year and those all sold out, but I'm seeing far fewer deer this year. Fewer dead deer on the roadside, fewer deer in my fields. I personally feel that it's about $$$ and not concern for the deer herd's well being.

54Hawkens,..So don't you think a doe is worth $10.00? You can't buy much with $10.00 now days....maybe a couple hamburgers with fries or 3 gallons of gas. :rolleyes: :crackup:

::
I'm not grinning at you Smitty, the something for everyone concept has been described on several occassions with harsh critical rhetoric from the traditional only ML season bunch (In truth, really just a few with axes to grind from outside Michigan with big opinions for Michigan).

We don't have licenses for specific deer hunts. We have licenses for the species and then you take that to the given hunt that you wish to participate which may have type of weapon or method of harvest restriction of some sort.

We could go the split ML season route, but then I'm sure someone will gripe and moan.

But which style ML camp hunt's first? Tough question and for sure more gripe and moaning amongst some. :rolleyes:

I think adding a traditional ML season with strict and specific criteria is about the only option and that might also prove to be impossible.

Fee for doe tags went from 7 to 10 dollars and I'm not particularily happy about the fee increase, but given the financial ruin the state is in, I was expecting some sort of an increase as the State has dramatically reduced funding for the DNR. So the DNR has little choice but to raise fees.

Yet you notice that they increased doe tags in your area from 10000 to 14000, so obviously reducing the herd in your area is also the plan.

TQ,
My tongue was in my cheek when I posted, I was curious as to how traditional only muzzleloaders would answer if the option of losing the ability to hunt in an in-line season was brought up. I hunt for my own personal satisfaction, and what other hunters hunt with does not ruin my experience. I have been fairly vocal about this. I went through all of this during my early bowhunting years and it has worked out well for all bowhunters,,they learned to be tolerable (except to ALL muzzleloaders). I just hope they don't mess with Florida's seasons!! It's hard enough down here to hunt in the palmettos without dogs, but that's another story!!! I have enough of an intolerance to those who hunt deer with dogs and ain't got nothin left for the in-line shooter!!

Given the circumstances under which the doe permit fee increase was instituted, no I don't think it's worth it. Supply and demand dictates value and price unless it's the gov controlling supply and price. I do not believe there are more does this year than last, in fact I firmly believe there are fewer. Thus the DNR is simply trying to raise money and disregarding the true level of deer in the county. I'm seeing fewer deer in the fields, dead along side the road. Talking to other farmers and they also note a decrease from last year.
It's greed I tell you and has nothing to do with the deer herds well being. Watch the future price of the general license to increase dramatically, once the deer herd is thinned and there are fewer and fewer deer. The demand will go up for those general licenses as will the price because the DNR knows people will pay any price for a chance at that "trophy" buck license.

Sorry to come into this thread so late. I stumbled across it while exploring the new forum features.

Tahquamenon said:
But a Buck Only, Flint/longbow season slipped in between archery and regular firearm should have the best opportunity of any.

How could that be slipped in between? Archery season runs right up until the start of regular firearm. It's going on right now.

If you're suggesting they restrict that part of archery season to longbows only and bucks only, they'll have a lot of angry bowhunters to contend with.

The longbow restriction wouldn't affect my own habits (I already limit my bowhunting to English longbow and cedar arrows), but adding an antler requirement to my early November bowhunting would be a reduction of my current hunting privileges, not an expansion of them.

Also, if you want an additional season for primitive archery, you'll probably not find significant support unless you also include recurves (sights and sighting pins should be prohibitted, though).

For years, Michigan Traditional Bowhunters has been pushing for a special compound-free "no training wheels" bow season, but we've always included recurves in the MTB definition of "traditional".

Likewise, I think excluding percussion sidelocks from a special traditional ML season would fail to find enough support, even from the traditional ML community.

Dan

The minor amount Michigan raised the doe permit this year was needed and still it's a bargain. The state is in serious financial trouble. Aid to schools and communities has fallen. If we want C.O.s in the field and a properly run DNR, we have to pay for it. One way to shut up the anti-hunters is to point out that we pay our own way. The tree-huggers and butterfly kissers don't pay a penny toward preserving the wildlife they profess to love. graybeard

When we got our muzzleloader season in Michigan,we originally wanted it to be a primitive type season,flintlock,,blackpowder only,patched round ball ect... We capitulated and agreed with letting percusion firearms to be used as a way of getting the thing done. We were ham stringed when black powder substitutes and sabots were allowed and now any discussion of a primitive season seems a waste of time because what we love to do won't pay for EVERYTHING thats messed up in this state. It not only has to pay for itself,but every other mistake that has ever occured here.No longer will something happen just to make it fun,It has to pay off BIG :cursing:

Pathfinder, [Do I sound angry?]

I'm late gettin in here too. SB, you can count me in and I'm sure my fellow traditional (90% flinters)club members will be in too.
I'd like to see the week before rifle season as traditional. Let the bowhunters use there stickbows and recurves during that time. I guarantee we'll kill more deer with ML's than the bowhunters during this period. That's what the DNR wants, right.

Unfortunatly I think this issue is pretty much dead. SB have moved out ot Michigan and I don't know if anyone has decided to carry this on.

It is a dead issue unless you could line the right pockets with more loot than all of us could come up with. The skirt we have runnin' this state could care less with what the fine people of this state want,She only cares about...nothing,She's from Canada. :rotf:

My dad has told me when I was young that u can't eat the antlers. I shoot mostly does where I go because there aren't that many bucks out and about. I've only shot one buck in the 14 years I've been hunting.

I'm glad that I hunt with a traditional ML. That is what my mother first bought me as a gift when I was 15. Inlines, in my opinion, have taken the challenge and the meaning away from the ML season in MI. The DNR, in my opinion again, don't have a clue about deer management. People that are employed by the DNR are there just for the job and could care less about what's going on in the field.

You are absolutly right,Ski. The folks that are employed by the D.N.R. are by and large good folks,just out of touch with what is really needed as far as what us hunters are concerned about. Their job is mostly paper work and keep busy stuff. This state is the worst when it comes to taking care of it's citizens,especially hunters[they have guns!], and the bosses at the D.N.R. won't put knowledgable in the feild to relay what we think. They know the rules and thats all. I haven't met an officer yet who was also a hunter. We'll never have any sense in this state untill we vote out all of them and start new. :cursing: Pathfinder

Back