• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Hunters in Michigan, it's our time...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris,

Sent you an e-mail with my info. I'd love to see a traditional season in Michigan, and I'd be happy to help out any way I can.

John

I'm all in favor as well. In Tennessee where I grew up we have a muzzleloader season in the first full week of November and it's the best opportunity for deer all year (seeing as it is at the peak of the rut). I'm looking forward to the big deer I've heard about in MI and would welcome a traditional only season with open arms.
:RO: :RO:

16 Gauge,

This is a direct reply from one of the Michigan DNR folks to an inquiry I made regarding clarification for the extension of the December ML season in zone 3 (Southern half of the lower peninsula).
Michigan 2005 Muzzle-loading:
Zone 1 (Upper Peninsula) Dec. 2 - 11, 2005
Zone 2 (Northern lower Peninsula) Dec. 9 - 18, 2005
Zone 3 (Southern lower Peninsula) Dec. 2 - 18, 2005

"The latest change for the muzzleloading season occurred for the 2005-06 hunting
season. The season was extended in zone 3 (southern lower Michigan). Survey
data suggested that hunters during the muzzleloading season were taking many
antlerless deer in zone 3. Our goals in southern Michigan are to reduce the
deer population. Therefore, the season was lengthened to provide more
opportunity to harvest antlerless deer which would help us reach our deer
population goals.

As far as altering the existing season to primitive only definition, that will dramatically reduce the number of hunters during the ML season and not result in the reduced herd in Zone 3, which is what the DNR is after.

16 Gauge,

This is a direct reply from one of the Michigan DNR folks to an inquiry I made regarding clarification for the extension of the December ML season in zone 3 (Southern half of the lower peninsula).

"The latest change for the muzzleloading season occurred for the 2005-06 hunting
population goals.

As far as altering the existing season to primitive only definition, that will dramatically reduce the number of hunters during the ML season and not result in the reduced herd in Zone 3, which is what the DNR is after.

What makes you think the above wouldn't dramatically increase the "sales of traditional muzzleloaders", rather then dramatically reduce the number of hunters????????????? :hmm: :haha:

The special seasons had this exact effect on traditional muzzleloader sales, and prompted some indusrties to start produce'n their "versions" of replicas when the special seasons were first introduced back in the "70's",..... no?? :haha: :hmm:

rollingb

What makes you think the above wouldn't dramatically increase the "sales of traditional muzzleloaders", rather then dramatically reduce the number of hunters?????????????

My sentiments exactly, esp. when there are a number of inline people starting thier posts with "...I hunt with both caplock and inline, BUT......"

AS far as the season change, that is news to me. Hopefully I will be able to get out this year, but the goal is to reduce the herd on private land, and I don't see them giving out a lot of antlerless permits for public lands.....which is what I hunt exclusively.
....and as far as taking the antlerless deer in the muzzleloading season: could this be because the hunters were waiting for that "big buck" that never materialized, and decided to settle on a doe during the last season they had? Just food for thought.

What makes you think the above wouldn't dramatically increase the "sales of traditional muzzleloaders", rather then dramatically reduce the number of hunters????????????? :hmm: :haha:

The special seasons had this exact effect on traditional muzzleloader sales, and prompted some indusrties to start produce'n their "versions" of replicas when the special seasons were first introduced back in the "70's",..... no?? :haha: :hmm:

rollingb

Sorry,.... I shouldn't have quoted yore entire post, and I was refer'n to regulations simular to Idaho's :master:,.... now do you understand my reply better?? ::

rollingb

Sincerely, I am not sure what you are getting at? ::

The Michigan DNR is wanting reduced herd in our zone 3 and thus extended the ML hunt by a week.
Ask them yourself. I did.

Sincerely, I am not sure what you are getting at? ::

The Michigan DNR is wanting reduced herd in our zone 3 and thus extended the ML hunt by a week.
Ask them yourself. I did.

........ and, did they tell you, thet go'n to a primitive (traditional muzzleloader ONLY) season would "dramatically reduce" the number of hunters wanting to hunt "zone 3" with muzzleloaders????? ::

I see thet as implied at the end of yore post,..... or, are the bold words yore's alone????? (read the following)

Tahquamenon posted,.... :This is a direct reply from one of the Michigan DNR folks to an inquiry I made regarding clarification for the extension of the December ML season in zone 3 (Southern half of the lower peninsula).

population goals.
As far as altering the existing season to primitive only definition, that will dramatically reduce the number of hunters during the ML season and not result in the reduced herd in Zone 3, which is what the DNR is after."

"As far as altering the existing season to primitive only definition, that will dramatically reduce the number of hunters during the ML season and not result in the reduced herd in Zone 3, which is what the DNR is after."

That is my opinion.

What was in italics is what the DNR had replied via email.

"As far as altering the existing season to primitive only definition, that will dramatically reduce the number of hunters during the ML season and not result in the reduced herd in Zone 3, which is what the DNR is after."

That is my opinion.

What was in italics is what the DNR had replied via email.

Thanks for the clarification,.... and, my "opinion" is,.... more hunters will switch to traditional muzzleloaders, and "keep right on hunt'n"!! :haha: :peace:

YMHS
rollingb

Stumblin:
I think your on to a good thing. My wifes family is from the UP and we have a home there (though we live during the week and work in WI). I don't hunt much anymore because there is nobody to go with anymore and because there's too many nuts with high powered rifles in the woods. Having said that I would be more then willing to pay out of state $$$ for a chance to go on a primitive only hunt.
I think adding a season is the way to go. You will convert some folks and bring the primitive group closer together.
Let the regular Muzzleloader season stand as is. Most hunter I know would jump at the chance for another chance at a deer.
Thanks for doing this.
Oh and the lastest magazines I got were great and well worth the wait.
Bub

Hi Rollingb,

You seem to know much about what Michigan hunters want and what really goes on in the state hunting-wise.

Do you actually hunt in Michigan?

And,

Are you a resident of Michigan?

Hi Rollingb,

You seem to know much about what Michigan hunters want and what really goes on in the state hunting-wise.

Do you actually hunt in Michigan?

And,

Are you a resident of Michigan?

Gee!!.... and I'm always the one git'n accused of "want'n to argue"!! :haha:

..... but, to answer yore question, "NO" I'm not a resident of Michigan.

..... but, I have lived in several different states, been hunt'n with traditional muzzleloaders in all of the states I lived in since 1971, and find "traditionalists" to be pretty much "like-minded" in all those states.

..... and, I do git "feed back" from the Michigan TMA State field Reps. who are Michigan "residents".

Just asking Rollingb, not arguing with you.

So you are not a resident of Michigan.

And, you don't (and apparenty never have) hunt(ed) here.

Thanks much,

Tahquamenon

This sounds like a good idea, but would this be for residents only? I have a camp in the U.P., already buy licenses for both bow and gun seasons and would be willing to do a traditional only season. If it would be open to non-residents, let me know what I need to do ....sign something, send an email..etc.

Thanks

:front:

TQ,
Wouldn't this whole thing be a lot easier and fairer if you split the Muzzleloader season in half, in-line and sidelocks. No sidelocks in the in-line season and no in-lines in the sidelock season. Everyone would be happy than!!! It would be as fair for both,,that way the vendors would be able to maybe sell a lot more of each type of gun, the state office could sell 2 more licenses (1 for in-lines, 1 for sidelocks) and finally the split of the 2 types of hunters that the traditionalist are really after will truly be fair for all. Not one of the traditional hunters (including me) has brought the only fair method up yet!

which season would you have first? :says: the next season would have less game than the first,,,,,OOOOO,,,,,that would be the next problem,,,,,if they want to shoot inlines let them use rifle season.... :front:

put traditional first. deer can be had at ranges under 100 yards at the start of the season. then the in-lines can have the second haft. deer will be at 100 yards or more. now if we can just move bow hunters to the rifle season, we could have the whole woods for our own. :crackup: :kid:

Back