• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch hole diameter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Started work on my matchlock. It comes from Military Heritage without the touch hole drilled. Is it safe to assume that 1/16" is a good starting point just like with flintlocks? Or do I need to go larger? I have a good set of fractional and numbered bits to choose from. Thanks.

Started work on my matchlock. It comes from Military Heritage without the touch hole drilled. Is it safe to assume that 1/16" is a good starting point just like with flintlocks? Or do I need to go larger? I have a good set of fractional and numbered bits to choose from. Thanks.

All mine are 1/16, i cone the inside of the touch hole with a milling bit. So, doesn’t need to be larger.

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpeg
    IMG_2892.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Flinter not match and I don’t know if that would make a difference but I like 5/64, all my guns are fitted with liners save one, and note the slower go

I have some that i drill out a little larger to 5/64, Prussian muskets were almost 1/8 - 3/16’s.

I like to keep my small, and position them a little lower, i call it the french method. A lot of early charleville’s had touchholes drilled small and low.

Its really just personal preference.

As long as there just one touch hole, not two or three lol.

Like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 0
Think it depends on the powder your using. I don't want the powder priming the pan, I want it pilled against the hole trying to get out. For me that's about .060 for 2f and .050 3f. You can always make it bigger, smaller is a problem.
Phil

I just used a leftover touch hole liner I had from a flintlock build. It's already coned on the inside. I don't think liners were period correct in matchlocks, but I'm not concerned . I'm not living in the 16th century, and have noone to impress with historical accuracy. Besides nobody will notice anyway.

I use the smaller .050 touchhole for bores in the 30-40 calibers to limit velocity & pressure loss. 40-60 caliber get 1/16th toucholes, and larger bores get 5/64 (or if a straight channel in a thick heavy breech I might go up to 3/32")

With Indian built guns I have found if you have to go in at an angle 5/64 works very well. Occasionally the bit will break coming thru.

Its just a hole. A 1/16" hole. No liner. Never tried a liner. Don't see a need to. Wrestled with a few folks back on another post on the period correctness of a stainless steel touch hole liner. To each his own. I don't mind the millisecond longer delay by not using a liner. 😉

Latest posts

Back