• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Toe Plate on your rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most every muzzleloader has a toe plate or kick plate along the bottom of your rifle. I have been using these for 40 years to settle the powder at the bottom of the breech. Do you use these ?? Do the new folks even know what these plates are for other than decoration ?? With many rifles having a patent breech like Pedersoli uses, these toe plates come in handy for settling the powder into the breech for better ignition. I have known them as both toe plates and kick plates, where you tap your toe several times against the brass plate so the powder settles into place. I have always tapped that brass toe plate with the toe of my boot when loading. Shooting today, I thought I'd share this tip with the other shooters in case you weren't aware what their purpose was.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• toe plate 1.JPG
    toe plate 1.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • toe plate 2.JPG
    toe plate 2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
The toeplate is never facing me when I load my rifle. The geometry of the buttstock kind of lends itself to be facing the other way.
With modern shoes it seems like a good trick but we get an extra point for traditional footwear during our Woods-Walk, so I don't suppose moccasins would do much, other than hurt my toe.

Palm of the hand would seem to work fine if you felt it was necessary.... but a slow pour down a 44 inch drop tube settles powder fine.
The old flints never had a patent breech. That was mostly a design feature to support the drum on the newfangled cap guns.

I prefer a toe plate because I use the butt tap to settle method. That being said, it's "just in case" because I hold the rifle in the crook of my right arm with the top facing away, so if I maintain that alignment, it's the butt plate that meets the ground.

I have a pedersoli without a toe plate. I bought it in 05 when it was 5. Whomever had it broke the very top of the wood off and filled that with wood putty. I did buy a toe plate with the intention of fixing that and adding, but have not got around to it yet.

Back