• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Wad or Not to Wad...That is another question!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKill_RPD

32 Cal
Reaction score
As a follow up to my Wax On/Wax Off post, I am using paper cartridges in my .36 1861 Pietta revolver. The Cartridge Kits paper kit does not mention using wads in the instructions. If I decide to pour instead of using the paper cartridge (If I run out and want to keep shooting), do I need to place the wad between the powder and ball? Along the same line of questioning, does the ball need to be patched in a revolver?

Absolutely no to patching. Whole different world than a muzzle loading rifle.

Wad traditionally goes between the powder and ball. Yea I am being a bit smart, it has occurred to me that the wad up front might be better than wad in between (cleans the barrel ahead of the ball).

Never patched balls

Otherwise, some people do both options of wads or not

To avoid most fouling you can go: powder > lubed wad > ball > lube/cylinder grease of your choice, usually lambs tallow+beeswax is best

If you don't care about fouling at the moment and just want to get a shot off fast: Powder > ball alone is fine

But the most simple yet still helpful way is what @Smokerr said: Powder > wad > ball

Last edited:
Back