• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To the older guys…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When my dad died in 2022, I got tons of photo albums. I also got letters…yes those things written on paper and mailed.. from my grandparents to each other when they were newlyweds. I got letters to my mom when she was in college, I got awards that my dad received from years of government work. They are at my house. Yea they take up space but they are priceless and can’t be replaced.

On another note…
My younger son goes shooting with me. He isn’t fascinated by guns like I am. That’s fine. I’d much rather him be take it or leave it with guns than liberal. I feel for some of you.

The point I take away from that is, no matter how many toys you may have, you're still going to die.

yep, we all lose in the end.

I spent a 2 year posting there in the late 70's, my first wife was Thai and it was good union.

I just returned from 15 days in country and was reminded once again how very different it was from the west with all its self-inflicted destruction.

The rural Thai women are feminine and caring (I'm not categorising Bar girls etc ) having old world traditional values, I'm always comfortable among them. And yes I do have a 32 year old lovely Thai girlfriend living in Nong Khai right on the Mekong river, theyre a respectable family who farm and live comfortably.
Congratulations on both your first wife and your current girlfriend! Rural Thai ladies certainly are very feminine and very loving and caring. And the rural Thai guys are a lot of fun!! At least out in the boonies, they were pretty much spared from, as you said, the west's self-inflicted destruction!

I thought about that too, but I would need a double size casket. The wife already has my two dogs and two cats that have been cremated going with me. Maybe a very large casket is possible ...
Larger size caskets are available my friend.

I spent a 2 year posting there in the late 70's, my first wife was Thai and it was good union.

I just returned from 15 days in country and was reminded once again how very different it was from the west with all its self-inflicted destruction.

The rural Thai women are feminine and caring (I'm not categorising Bar girls etc ) having old world traditional values, I'm always comfortable among them. And yes I do have a 32 year old lovely Thai girlfriend living in Nong Khai right on the Mekong river, theyre a respectable family who farm and live comfortably.
You got a good one and I mean it. EVERY Asian girl i ever met was completely bat-shat screaming-like-a-banshee crazy. Every one.

For some reason I like to read threads like these. I always get some insight from them. Oh how lucky we were to have lived through the best of times of this great nation. Hero's, Audi Murphy, John Wayne, The Lone Ranger, Jeff Cooper, Fess Parker and I could go on.
A bit of wisdom that I remember was that, " it is better to give with a warm hand rather than a cold dead one". For the last few years I have been gifting many items to young men that I have met along the way in life and Boy Scouting. It is very satisfying feeling to hand them something as well a the story behind what I am giving them. No matter what they do with it later they will know it's history and have the memory of me and my trust and faith in them.
To my geezer buddies. Well, I've been sorting out boxes, jars and drawers of trinkets and gizmos that were to good to throw away. If I'm going to a meeting or the range I try to put at least one of these treasure boxes in my gear and hand it to someone that I know will appreciate just poking around with it an knows what most of that junk is. I makes for good conversation the next time we meet.
As I've stated before, I believe the baby boomers enjoyed the best time in modern history.

Lots of great responses here. Everyone must do what they feel is best.

Unless I end up needing the money, my guns will pass to my children. They have been competition shooters with me for the last 4 years so hopefully they will if nothing else remember their old man when they pick one up after I'm gone.

I have an inventory list of all my guns and what I paid for them. I also list references my survivors can use to determine each gun's value when the time comes. I have a will with a list of what family member gets what gun(s). I was going to spread them around, but I decided the family members that never come around, never call me or do anything with me get nothing. My wife, my youngest son and one nephew will get most of my firearms. I even supplied a list of good, ethical gun stores that would treat them fairly if they decided to sell or consign the guns.

Not kidding: Got junk mail yesterday from The Cremation Society of Pennsylvania. Have to wonder why they picked my name out of the hat!!!
I get those letters every month, they started a year ago at $4,200 now they are at $3,600 - business must be slow or there's too many pushing their services...

You got a good one and I mean it. EVERY Asian girl i ever met was completely bat-shat screaming-like-a-banshee crazy. Every one.

No disrespect intended, but IME the rural Thai girls that havent been monetised with Sex work are usually the better part of the population for relationships; Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya arent real Thailand.

I met my Thai girlfriend on Thai Friendly dating site, she's a farm girl from up north in Issan her family are doing well; I've spent real time on the ground with her and thankfully she's not a party girl, very conservative in her attitude and habits, and easy to live with.

Attachments

• Suphatsara.jpg
    Suphatsara.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I wish they'd let us just dump bodies in the herbie curbie to go out with the rest of the trash.
Just don't do like I did with my fa-in-law! Dad came to stay with us for a week or so, and then we found that he had leukemia, and had to stay with us until he died 6 months later. One day I was in Dad's bedroom, just chatting with him as I took a break from work, and (for the life of me, I really don't know WHY I said it, but...) I just said "Man, I hope if I ever get so I can't do anything, I hope the kids just take me out back and shoot me!"

I have never seen anyone's eyes get as big around as Dad's did right then!!

I'm not sure that at 61 years old I qualify - yet - for this conversation. But, my dad is still around at 85 and trims his own hedges, still grows his veggies and walks around 5 miles a day. Hopefully I will follow likewise, and therefore intend to keep shooting right up to that age. And beyond, with good fortune. I suppose I could leave my guns to the local club, who are a nice bunch of people and been very accommodating of my smoke making even though they are mostly modern shooters.

No disrespect intended, but IME the rural Thai girls that havent been monetised with Sex work are usually the better part of the population for relationships; Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya arent real Thailand.

I met my Thai girlfriend on Thai Friendly dating site, she's a farm girl from up north in Issan her family are doing well; I've spent real time on the ground with her and thankfully she's not a party girl, very conservative in her attitude and habits, and easy to live with.
Reminds me of when I was 19 years old and in the army back in the early '70's. Lots of guys had oriental wives - Thai, Korean, Philippino, Vietnamese. The old sergeant sat me down, and said to me, "Jim, American women are spoiled rotten. You find yourself an oriental woman. They really know how to treat a man!" Well, I did not take his advice on that, but have enjoyed telling this story to women for the last 50 years.

Perhaps in contrast to other opinions. I have found that selling guns on Gunbroker is easy peasy and hassle free. The buyer has to use an FFL. The seller does not. The seller just packs up the gun and ships it himself just like any other item. I found it pleasant to do. (I'm talking about modern guns).

But you only can ship modern guns to an FFL. So the buyer must provide you the shipping address of his FFL and his FFL must send you a copy of his FFL license. The address on that FFL license is the one and only place to which you can ship the gun.

One thing to consider: modern handguns must be shipped using "Overnight" and this is expensive almost a $100. Remember that when pricing a handgun to sell. This is not required if shipping a long gun.

In the Western part of America. There is a chain store called Sportsmans Warehouse. They buy guns. You bring in the gun (cased of course, like a cheap soft case, so nobody thinks you are an armed robber) and they make you an offer and pay you right there.

3 options:
Cash (you get less money this way).
Credit on a future purchase (more money)
Credit on a gun you wish to buy right now (the most money).

Perhaps in contrast to other opinions. I have found that selling guns on Gunbroker is easy peasy and hassle free. The buyer has to use an FFL. The seller does not. The seller just packs up the gun and ships it himself just like any other item. I found it pleasant to do. (I'm talking about modern guns).

But you only can ship modern guns to an FFL. So the buyer must provide you the shipping address of his FFL and his FFL must send you a copy of his FFL license. The address on that FFL license is the one and only place to which you can ship the gun.

One thing to consider: modern handguns must be shipped using "Overnight" and this is expensive almost a $100. Remember that when pricing a handgun to sell. This is not required if shipping a long gun.
Not so fast.... From BATF web page

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?​

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back