• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To tack or not to tack, that is the question…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when the NRA Convention was in Houston, I talked to an exhibitor that was showing his Custer-era and documented Big Horn pick-ups that were heavily decorated. Talked for over an hour. He taught me a whole lot about them, like when they wrapped a broken wrist with wire, it was probably telegraph wire that they had torn from the poles. And using butt plates for hide scrapers. I forget what they used fore-stocks for, but they would wrap the barrel in hide, and it would tighten and harden.

I feel guilty now for talking so long, because we didn't have time for my son to see R. Lee Ermey, but he didn't know he was there, so I'll take this secret to my grave. Except for this confession, to lighten my guilt. :ghostly:

I don't see the problem so many people appear to have with putting decorative tacks on a ML rifle. If you like them, apply them and if they don't do anything for you, then don't use them. I have attached a couple of photos of tack applications I have used on uzzleloaders I build or remodeled. I personlly like the Native American influence they give the rifles.
View attachment 236398View attachment 236399
Wow that looks awesome! Great job

I love the way old native guns look with tacks. Jim Beckwourth "went native" and joined up with the Crows, and his rifle has some tacks and a rawhide wrap:

Beckwourth Rifle.3.jpg
With that said, I have not seen very many modern tack jobs that I like. I have not been able to figure out what the difference is... Maybe the modern tack work is too perfect or something. I don't know. I can say that a lot of it is overdone.

I would not tack that rifle that was shown in post #1. It is a beautiful custom-built Hawken rifle, and its looks and function cannot possibly be improved with tacks. Whether it is put up for resale or not, it has a certain value, and that value would be substantially decreased with the addition of tacks. I think Caleb made the right decision when he elected to leave it alone. If all of that kit shown in the photo (knives, beaded rifle case, etc) came with the rifle, it must have belonged to a serious history nut and blackpowder shooter. He must have valued the rifle as it is, and I would respect that.

I've been thinking of tacking a ~40 year mass-produced rifle that is currently in "beater" condition, to duplicate a movie gun of the same type, but it needs other work done before it will be really shootable. It would be a good candidate for some simple tack work. But a nice custom Hawken? I wouldn't do it.

Back when the NRA Convention was in Houston, I talked to an exhibitor that was showing his Custer-era and documented Big Horn pick-ups that were heavily decorated. Talked for over an hour. He taught me a whole lot about them, like when they wrapped a broken wrist with wire, it was probably telegraph wire that they had torn from the poles. And using butt plates for hide scrapers. I forget what they used fore-stocks for, but they would wrap the barrel in hide, and it would tighten and harden.

Would that have been Wendell Grangaard? I've never met him, but I have his book. He has done some interesting work, but I saw that he was trying to sell off his collection earlier this year. They had a really nice website up with photos and detailed descriptions of every piece he had for sale, but it appears that website has been taken down.

Notchy Bob

I'm not a big fan of tacks, but I do have one with them. It is a Western Arms, Santa Fa, so a production gun from the same time period as yours. I did get it at a good price because of the tacks. They are very small and I felt that they didn't take away from the guns looks as much as some tack jobs do. Here are a few pictures of it.
20230716_131053.jpg
20230716_131101.jpg
20230716_131106.jpg

I personally wouldn't do it on a custom gun.

I'm not a big fan of tacks, but I do have one with them. It is a Western Arms, Santa Fa, so a production gun from the same time period as yours. I did get it at a good price because of the tacks. They are very small and I felt that they didn't take away from the guns looks as much as some tack jobs do. Here are a few pictures of it.
View attachment 236615View attachment 236616View attachment 236617

I personally wouldn't do it on a custom gun.
I like that!

It IS a nice rifle.

I wonder if the tack heads could be attached temporarily with hot glue after cutting off the brads below flush with wire cutters? might be a way to experiment without doing much if any permanent damage to the stock or finish.
Exactly what I was thinking. Easily changed or removed at any time.

Would that have been Wendell Grangaard? I've never met him, but I have his book.
Just got back from Ft. Worth, visiting our 1 1/2 y.o. grandson. 😍

I don't recall the man's name. I'll look Wendell up tomorrow, to see if anything looks familiar.

Seeing those originals in person was really cool! They weren't pretty museum specimens that have hardly been shot. They were guns that were used by soldiers or regular folks. Like a Colt found buried in an alley with 2 rounds left. What story could it tell?

Back to the original thread, even after reading the many opinions, I still think that, since it's a nice-but-replica rifle, the tacks would be fine. Again, look for historical examples. I don't know if Indians would tack a cross onto the stock.
Just my opinion....

I have a North West FL Trade gun made in Kit form by Cury Gostomski in the mid 80's, as theyre a rather plain ML I felt a need to add some Tacks but held off until Curly G visited Australia and stayed over with us.
When I showed him the finished Trade gun and mentioned I was interested in adding some Brass tacks, it became a discussion among us dear ML kindred friends there at the time.

According to the Man brass tacked Trade guns were common enough with white Trappers, and some of them were tacked to commemorate special events or experiences symbolically.

So with further thought over time and sourcing of real Brass tacks in different sizes, I sketched out a design that story-told the four of us sitting around a night fire in the mountain wilderness we camped at with the ol "Grey Badger" (Curly G).

Ref first photo "Mountain Solace camp", from the left the small Tacks represent the Trail we packed in to our campsite up in the Blue Mountains.
The group of 4 larger Tacks being seated "at council" at nights (larger Tack being the Grey Badger, then small tacks out leading into the morning Sun down from the mountains a few days later.

Other side of the Butt, a Cross of Faith which serves two purposes; to remind me of my personal Christian Faith and to conduct myself accordingly even in the wilderness. Secondly so others can recognise it as a silent statement of my Faith.

Last photo is of the top flat surface of the Butt, representing the path of the round Ball as it diminishes out of sight speeding to its target, as a Hunt then an inevitable end to one of Natures gifts. Secondly a reminder that all of us are only here for a limited time, symbolised with the diminishing Tack sizes in line with the Barrel muzzle end. A muzzle that will see my own Ashes dispersed when my journey is done.

Forgive me for detailing why I Brass tacked my personally meaningful North West Trade gun, I dont advocate just tacking any other Gun for ornamentations sake, if anyone has a yen to include some Tacking why not consider it with care; and personalise it with commemorative memories thereby elevating "that Gun" to a valued sentiment you will always hold dear.

Here's to you ol Grey Badger.

TG  Mountain solace camp .jpg

TG  Cross of Faith side Butt.jpg

Attachments

• TG top flat Butt.jpg
    TG top flat Butt.jpg
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 0
I have a North West FL Trade gun made in Kit form by Cury Gostomski in the mid 80's, as theyre a rather plain ML I felt a need to add some Tacks but held off until Curly G visited Australia and stayed over with us.
When I showed him the finished Trade gun and mentioned I was interested in adding some Brass tacks, it became a discussion among us dear ML kindred friends there at the time.

According to the Man brass tacked Trade guns were common enough with white Trappers, and some of them were tacked to commemorate special events or experiences symbolically.

So with further thought over time and sourcing of real Brass tacks in different sizes, I sketched out a design that story-told the four of us sitting around a night fire in the mountain wilderness we camped at with the ol "Grey Badger" (Curly G).

Ref first photo "Mountain Solace camp", from the left the small Tacks represent the Trail we packed in to our campsite up in the Blue Mountains.
The group of 4 larger Tacks being seated "at council" at nights (larger Tack being the Grey Badger, then small tacks out leading into the morning Sun down from the mountains a few days later.

Other side of the Butt, a Cross of Faith which serves two purposes; to remind me of my personal Christian Faith and to conduct myself accordingly even in the wilderness. Secondly so others can recognise it as a silent statement of my Faith.

Last photo is of the top flat surface of the Butt, representing the path of the round Ball as it diminishes out of sight speeding to its target, as a Hunt then an inevitable end to one of Natures gifts. Secondly a reminder that all of us are only here for a limited time, symbolised with the diminishing Tack sizes in line with the Barrel muzzle end. A muzzle that will see my own Ashes dispersed when my journey is done.

Forgive me for detailing why I Brass tacked my personally meaningful North West Trade gun, I dont advocate just tacking any other Gun for ornamentations sake, if anyone has a yen to include some Tacking why not consider it with care; and personalise it with commemorative memories thereby elevating "that Gun" to a valued sentiment you will always hold dear.

Here's to you ol Grey Badger.

View attachment 236792

View attachment 236793
That looks very nice. And I would bet a cup of coffee so did the folks back then.

Tacks are like tattoos, nice at first, later you may regret ever doing it and permanent scars are left when removed.

That may be for some folks, it's been nearly 4 decades since I tacked my Trade Gun and to this day and I've never regretted it, wouldnt have her any other way.
You'd be surprised that more than a few people ask what it means, it does interest folks that see it.

I think putting tacks on a stock is a personal thing. For me, it would just depend on the rifle and what it meant to me. This T/C New Englander is not a custom so, I put a little something on it to dress it up a bit. I didn't go all crazy, just simple.

thumbnail_IMG_0900.jpg

Latest posts

Back