• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To tack or not to tack, that is the question…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this really nice plains rifle that was built in the 70s or 80s, it’s a 54 cal… would it be sacrilege to decorate the stock with some tacks?

Attachments

• IMG_8894.jpeg
    IMG_8894.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 6C5CB8C4-0C98-4C77-BCC3-4D4C56E76283.jpeg
    6C5CB8C4-0C98-4C77-BCC3-4D4C56E76283.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • F84D56B9-3BBC-440F-B76B-9A2D113BFE76.jpeg
    F84D56B9-3BBC-440F-B76B-9A2D113BFE76.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
My vote goes for............it depends. My thinking is, its a personal thing. Much like what type of underwear one chooses. I have yet to tack any of my critter getting tools, but I have given it much consideration. IMO, if one plans on keeping a ML for a long time, then it makes more sense. And as strange as some may think this is, a ML with lots of tacks on it would be a motivator. In the very least, it would help build confidence during hunts when things might not be going so well. Its a darn sight better than cutting notches in the stock.

However, once tacks or notches are in there, it's difficult to hide them. But again, if you plan on keeping the ML for years to come, I say, if you have the hankering, then go for it.

My vote goes for............it depends. My thinking is, its a personal thing. Much like what type of underwear one chooses. I have yet to tack any of my critter getting tools, but I have given it much consideration. IMO, if one plans on keeping a ML for a long time, then it makes more sense. And as strange as some may think this is, a ML with lots of tacks on it would be a motivator. In the very least, it would help build confidence during hunts when things might not be going so well. Its a darn sight better than cutting notches in the stock.

However, once tacks or notches are in there, it's difficult to hide them. But again, if you plan on keeping the ML for years to come, I say, if you have the hankering, then go for it.
this is definitely a rifle i'll never sell.

I put tacks on a knife handle and like the look as well as the added texture for grip. I have no intention of ever putting tacks in a rifle, unless I happen to buy a pawn shop wall hanger.

Personally They aren’t my thing. I see them on some guns that aren’t so objectionable. I would hate to see them on your particular style rifle. That’s a nice gun! Can you tell us more about the rifle?
Thanks! Its a custom gun that I dont know a whole lot about. Its very well made. Has B. Wood on the barrel and MJ Rosetel on the lock. There is a #4 under the barrel too. GR Douglas barrel that really shoots straight. From what I can tell it is a really faitful reproduction of an original plains rifle.

Back