To Polish the Brass Furniture or Not?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Trep44

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms Remington Zoli Zouave. I purchased the rifle used in 1975. The lock is dated 1960 and barrel # 740. I have been out of muzzle loading for about 15 years, so I have a lot of questions and I have been learning a great deal from a number of very helpful members on this forum. The barrel, lock and stock are all in excellent condition. But I have never polished any of the brass furniture and all the brass has a strong patina from the years of handling.

What is the general consensus regarding the polishing of brass? Let the rifle age to give it an antique look or polish to give it a new look?

Chuck

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms Remington Zoli Zouave. I purchased the rifle used in 1975. The lock is dated 1960 and barrel # 740. I have been out of muzzle loading for about 15 years, so I have a lot of questions and I have been learning a great deal from a number of very helpful members on this forum. The barrel, lock and stock are all in excellent condition. But I have never polished any of the brass furniture and all the brass has a strong patina from the years of handling.

What is the general consensus regarding the polishing of brass? Let the rifle age to give it an antique look or polish to give it a new look?

Chuck
I would say, leave the patina. It is a part of your guns character that it has developed over the years with you.

Yes, maybe it developed its patina just sitting in the closet for all of those years but those years are still a part of its history.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Personal choice. When I got my TC back in the 70s I would wipe the brass with my dirty swabbing patch after every shot and swab just to add patina.

rafterob

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I say if you have plenty of time on your hands, polish it. Mine exhibits a lovely patina resulting from years of neglect.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I always thought polishing brass was kind of like brushing your teeth, it's a personal choice.

bubba.50

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I usually polish it once when I first get the gun then forget it. If it’s strictly a huntin’ gun I leave the patina.

PluggedNickel

Still playing Cowboy after all these years!
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
BA75550E-6B18-4386-9F9A-EC67BA9B5194.jpeg
My shiny rifles are nothing compared to what I do to my powder measures. Lol.View attachment 9989
I polish my brass, but I no longer hunt, so to each his own. If I were still hunting I’d probably let it patina. I polish all my accoutrements as well, then give a coat of Renaissance Wax.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I don't polish mine. It's more laziness than anything else, although I do like patina.