• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken metal finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Progressing on my TOTW late Hawken replica and thinking about finish for the metal. Previous projects have all been brass mounted flintlocks, and this is my first iron mounted rifle of any kind. When I say "late", I mean 1850 or later, as it has the slant breech. The lock plate is polished, but the other cast hardware has that typical grey oxide. I could just leave those parts as is, but I surely need some finish for the lock plate and the barrel. What have you folks used?

Over a long period of time, rust bluing can turn brown. Some of the better-known surviving Hawken rifles such as the Bridger rifle and Carson rifle were clearly rust blued and case colored. Some of the rifles I was able to see in Cody had rust blued barrels with traces of color case. The original Hawken owned by the late Don Stith had a rust blued barrel. At least the one I examined anyway back in 2015.

I personally feel that the Hawken Shop in St Louis would take individual orders and finish a rifle as the customer wanted. If he wanted an older style brown finish, he got it. If he wanted a rust blued barrel and case-colored parts, he got it. Money is money, in 1840 and 2024.

For certain. We all love that boiled linseed oil finish (me too), but varnish seems to be the choice back in the day. Re case hardening: I see you can buy relatively inexpensive heat treating furnaces and actually inexpensive bone charcoal. Like I need another toy. But I suppose a small furnace has other uses, and I was a metallurgist when I made an honest living.

Last edited:
None of the metal parts should have the wax cast surface still on them. It's kind of a let down when I see an otherwise nice gun, with casting surfaces, and seams, on metal parts. Each part of a gun should be finished. Take a little more time. Use your files and sandpaper. Don't settle for "leaving those parts as is."

Top one is original. I guess the blueing turned brown like a lot of my classic .22 rifles from the 40s and 50s..
232160-IMG-2431.jpeg

OK, we will go rust blue on the barrel. I just need to rig up a container to boil a 36" barrel. Shouldn't be too hard. Now, case hardening. I am going to test some Steel F/X from Bill Worden in St. George. Anyone else used this? If that does not work, it's buy a small heat treat furnace, a couple crucibles, and some bone charcoal to do it for real. What say ye?

OK, we will go rust blue on the barrel. I just need to rig up a container to boil a 36" barrel. Shouldn't be too hard. Now, case hardening. I am going to test some Steel F/X from Bill Worden in St. George. Anyone else used this? If that does not work, it's buy a small heat treat furnace, a couple crucibles, and some bone charcoal to do it for real. What say ye?
Practice on random pieces of steel to gain some understanding of case hardening. It’s not hard but there is a learning curve.

Back