• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To Polish the Brass Furniture or Not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trep44

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms Remington Zoli Zouave. I purchased the rifle used in 1975. The lock is dated 1960 and barrel # 740. I have been out of muzzle loading for about 15 years, so I have a lot of questions and I have been learning a great deal from a number of very helpful members on this forum. The barrel, lock and stock are all in excellent condition. But I have never polished any of the brass furniture and all the brass has a strong patina from the years of handling.

What is the general consensus regarding the polishing of brass? Let the rifle age to give it an antique look or polish to give it a new look?

Chuck

20190307_145434.jpg
I aquired an unfired TC .45 Hawken and couldn't leave the brass tarnished. I get teased a bit by the 'Mountain Men' at our shoots but I don't care. I like shiny sometimes.

I have a Navy Arms Remington Zoli Zouave. I purchased the rifle used in 1975. The lock is dated 1960 and barrel # 740. I have been out of muzzle loading for about 15 years, so I have a lot of questions and I have been learning a great deal from a number of very helpful members on this forum. The barrel, lock and stock are all in excellent condition. But I have never polished any of the brass furniture and all the brass has a strong patina from the years of handling.

What is the general consensus regarding the polishing of brass? Let the rifle age to give it an antique look or polish to give it a new look?

Chuck
I would say, leave the patina. It is a part of your guns character that it has developed over the years with you.

Yes, maybe it developed its patina just sitting in the closet for all of those years but those years are still a part of its history.

I say if you have plenty of time on your hands, polish it. Mine exhibits a lovely patina resulting from years of neglect.

I always thought polishing brass was kind of like brushing your teeth, it's a personal choice.

I usually polish it once when I first get the gun then forget it. If it’s strictly a huntin’ gun I leave the patina.

BA75550E-6B18-4386-9F9A-EC67BA9B5194.jpeg
My shiny rifles are nothing compared to what I do to my powder measures. Lol.View attachment 9989
I polish my brass, but I no longer hunt, so to each his own. If I were still hunting I’d probably let it patina. I polish all my accoutrements as well, then give a coat of Renaissance Wax.

Latest posts

Back