• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To nitrate or...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Sanders

40 Cal.
Reaction score
not to nitrate? That is the question! :hmm: Why is nitrated paper so important in combustible cartridges? I made some this weekend out of regular old onion skin paper for my c and b revolver and had 100% positive ignition from this type of paper. I built my cartridges the same way this guy did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2HUcfAyaaQ I did have some slight paper remnants in one or two of the chambers after detonation but not bad. Just wondered if the old timers knew something that I didn't. Maybe some of you could shed some light on my question.

HH 60

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read this last night (on wickedpedia for what its worth) while looking into saltpeter as a pickling solution. Not sure if this is what your after but it may help in complete combustion of the cartridge.

"Potassium nitrates supplied the oxidant and much of the energy for gunpowder in the 19th century, but after 1889, small arms and large artillery increasingly began to depend on cordite, a smokeless powder which required in manufacture large quantities of nitric acid derived from mineral nitrates (either potassium nitrate, or increasingly sodium nitrate), and the basic industrial chemical sulfuric acid. These propellants, like all nitrated explosives (nitroglycerine, TNT, etc.) use both parts of the nitrate ion: the oxygen promotes rapid combustion (thermal energy), and the expansion of the previously solid nitrogen to N2 gas provides kinetic energy."

String

Paper is nitrated to insure complete burning of it.
Depending on paper used it is probably more of a necessity in recent years than a 100 years ago as many papers today are mandated by the feds to have fire retardant added.
Old onion skin paper from typing does normally burn quite readily.
at one time the paper was treated with lard and or beeswax. This was to help the paper to fully combust and to an extent even add fouling softening lubricant during ignition. Not sure how long the powder would be viable in those.
-------- snippets of gathered info----------
Paper cartridges have been in use for nearly as long as hand-held firearms, with a number of sources dating their use back to the late 14th century. Historians note their use by soldiers of Christian I in 1586, while the Dresden museum has evidence dating their use to 1591,
Paper cartridges were often coated in beeswax, lard, or tallow, which served a number of purposes. It provided some degree of water resistance, it lubricated the paper-wrapped bullet as it was pushed down the bore, and it melted upon firing to mix with the powder residue and make the resulting fouling easier to remove.

I have other snippets that are similar.
Cigarette rolling paper has a type of nitrate on it, so it will continue to burn if you lay the cigarette down. But it doesn't "flash" upon ignition.
I haven't had any troubles with hang fires or remnants using them Been rolling my own for years.

Latest posts

Back