• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Combustible cartridges in a 1851 Uberti/Navy Arms 36 Cal and a Pietta 1858 Brass Frame 44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnettshale

36 Cal.
Reaction score
On the 26th I took my 18 year old granddaughter and one of her friends to the Red River Renegades range in Electra, Tx. I only took the two revolvers. I also took some combustible cartridges I had made nearly two years ago. These cartridges were not pristine by any stretch of the imagination. Coffee filter paper, homemade dowels and blocks, Potassium nitrate soaked /Stump-out. 44's were loaded with 30 grains 3F, .454 ball with a lubed felt wad. Tough to load with the wad. Will leave that out next time. .36 caliber were 22 grains 3F, .375 Ball and lubed felt wad. Next time will be .380 ball, no wad. Regardless of how suspect the cartridges looked I had exactly 2 hang fires. They all fired with one cap. When I checked the chambers I found a small piece of paper left in one chamber of each revolver. I am actually pleased with the results. Those cartridges had been stored in my shop with at least one hard North Texas winter and one extremely hot (+110 degrees F) summer. The lubed wads definitely gave up the lube and wicked into the paper but they still fired. We also fired some rounds loading with loose powder and ball. We all had a great time anyway.

Attachments

• DSCN0113.JPG
    DSCN0113.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0115.JPG
    DSCN0115.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0114.JPG
    DSCN0114.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Good on you for taking the girls shooting.
That's odd you're have trouble loading those cartridges. I've been playing with them too, and I load basically the same cartridge. My Pietta 58 Remington and especially my shortie Pietta 51 Navy 44 gobble them up like candy. Maybe the difference is I'm using hair curler papers? I need to make another batch, I like em!
I use Raw brand cigarette paper for the Navy 36, works good too.

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_124430.jpg
    IMG_20230113_124430.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back