• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Those LONG HOT SUMMERS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m a paper puncher. I know some guys don’t care much for shooting paper targets, but that's something I really enjoy. I can spend long hours on our hunting club’s rifle range playing with different guns and loads, and putting holes in paper.

The problem is – those long hot and humid summers here in S.E. Louisiana. It's not a lot of fun shooting when your underwear is wetter than an old mop, your glasses are fogged and sweat is running in your eyes.

NOT THIS YEAR by gum. We now have an enclosed shooting house (the A/C will be installed next weekend). Open the big windows when the weather is nice, and shoot through the port holes when the A/C is running.

The 350-yard range is right next to our club campground.

See it here: The Shooting House - YouTube

Last edited:
I shoot muzzleloader a a lot more in the winter than I do the summer. I know what you are talking about. When it is calm out and humid enough to drink the air that smoke seems to absorb into your body through your skin.

I’m a paper puncher. I know some guys don’t care much for shooting paper targets, but that's something I really enjoy. I can spend long hours on our hunting club’s rifle range playing with different loads and putting holes in paper.

The problem is – those long hot and humid summers here in S.E. Louisiana. It's not a lot of fun shooting when your underwear is wetter than an old mop, your glasses are fogged and sweat is running in your eyes.

NOT THIS YEAR by gum. We now have an enclosed shooting house (the A/C will be installed next weekend). Open the big windows when the weather is nice, and shoot through the port holes when the A/C is running.

The Shooting House - YouTube
I think it’s a great idea! I do shoot in the summer, but it’s either early or late and never for too long. It’s torturous.

Summers in the S.E. can be frustrating for sure. However, I found out the hard way that shooting during ML during the winter can be even worse. So much so that I stopped all testing until nicer weather. At least during the summer one is not all bundled up and their hands do not freeze. Loading ML's during cold, windy conditions is the worse.

Living In Md. at the time I shot the two, three, and 600 yard natl match course shooting an M1a or M14 dozens of times during the summer wearing jeans, Tshirt, sweat shirt and a leather shooting coat. All the clothing would get sweat soaked and my leather coat rotted out after about eight years. Went to cordura coat after that. I was a lot younger back then and could do that stuff and I loved it. Today I couldn't deal with it. I still have the rifle I went Distinguished with and I even shoot it now and then.

Our weather might do anything at any time and there is usually shooting weather at some time every month bu too often the wind is a spoiler m it can turn a 45 deg sunny day into a deep chill.

I really should do some shooting tomorrow because we are getting a rare weather break with low humidity and moderate, low 80’s, highs. This time next week will be horrible. I really want to get back to work on my trade gun, but the shop has AC. Decisions decisions.

Around Yuma my shooting hours are from about 0530 to maybe 1000. Depending on how hot the day will become after 1000. Most days don't last that long if it's in the mid 80's to 90 early on. I Iike to be home under the AC by about 1100.

I’m a paper puncher. I know some guys don’t care much for shooting paper targets, but that's something I really enjoy. I can spend long hours on our hunting club’s rifle range playing with different guns and loads, and putting holes in paper.

See it here: The Shooting House - YouTube
That is flippen hilarious !!! Dont get me wrong , more power to ya , what ever floats your goat .... but ...WOW ! Shooting out of air conditioned pot holes !! Thats really some Daniel Boone $#!+ right there !! LOL !! :D

Shot last spring at Friendship in the Woodswalk. Had a load of fun.
It was the first relay of the day so around 9:30, high 80's. 100% humidity, misty rain. Had to put your thumb over the muzzle after pouring powder to keep it dry. Load, wipe sweat from your face, step up to the line, wipe sweat, wipe your eyes/glasses, aim and fire. Repeat.

Had 2 cap locks and 2 flints. Was surprised that there were no misfires from the flints.

I beat the others by 2.

Don

Added - Leaving in a couple days to do it again, getting the camper ready today. Supposed to be dry this year and not as warm.

Bunch of sissies! Try spending a few hours working outside on a hot sunny day while wearing an airtight rubber hazmat suit. That suit will get knee deep in sweat. Just image what it smells like inside after a while.

Back