• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridge Woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may have all been said by now, but....
Coffee filter paper is just too heavy to use, at least that is what I have found. Get some Zig Zag rolling papers from the local 7-11 or Circle K (or a "head shop" if you are in California). One thing I do though is when I've rammed the ball and cartridge home, I always shake or blow off the ring of paper that is sheared off. That ring will make it difficult for the cylinder to turn.
FWhiskey pretty much nails it here.

Some time ago I posted about using paper cartridges on my Pietta 1851 Navy, .36 cal. The paper got jammed between the forcing cone and the cylinder causing the gun to jam. At the time I suspected that I used too much paper so I vowed to use less paper AND to nitrate the paper. So I got some coffee filter paper and nitrated it, made cartridges using less paper and lubed the balls. No joy! I still get paper jams.

Here are pictures of the old style cartridge and the new. New style first and old style second. View attachment 140248

I am beginning to think that it is the gun and not the cartridge but I would like any input from paper cartridge users to see if you have experienced this. I measured the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone and it is .004" Perhaps too large allowing unburned paper to blow out there?

To my knowledge, in the old days paper revolver cartridges were made up with conical bullets, and you are finding out why.

I just ordered a GOTW paper cartridge kit with the goal of making round ball cartridges, I'll let all of you know how it works out. :thumb:
I have both his kits in 44 and 36 and I’m very happy with the results.
I have used nitrated coffee filter paper, cig paper and curling paper. They all work but the nitrated coffee filter ones tend to leave less unburned debris in the chambers.

I have both his kits in 44 and 36 and I’m very happy with the results.
I have used nitrated coffee filter paper, cig paper and curling paper. They all work but the nitrated coffee filter ones tend to leave less unburned debris in the chambers.
I've got the same kit and like it too. My only very minor complaint is I wish he had included dippers to charge the cartridges instead of having to fill the top of the former with powder.

I've got the same kit and like it too. My only very minor complaint is I wish he had included dippers to charge the cartridges instead of having to fill the top of the former with powder.
I know and the funnel is small so I use a larger one. I made my own dippers out of brass pistol cases to suit my particular load. I super glued a thin wire to the case bottoms for handles.

IMHO, coffee filter paper is too thick. Use hair curling paper. Also the Guns of the West kit is well worth the money, and the mandrill will make sure you cut the paper so it doesn't protrude over the center of the ball.

Don't upset the mandrill! for goodness sake cut the paper the way he likes it!

1690468287491.png

These are the dippers I made for different loads and marked with a Sharpie. Makes it a lot easier and efficient than pouring into the former handle then pouring into the envelope using that tiny funnel. I use a slightly larger funnel and don’t spill any powder in the process. You can use any metal case and trim to the desired charge size.

IMG_6374.jpeg

I have rolled and loaded a few thousand paper cartridges for my 44’s and 36’s. Never had a paper jam up the works and stop my shooting.

I am very meticulous when ramming them tho and any lead or paper is fished out of the cylinder chambers … every time

i would guess that if using zig zag rolling papers as I do, and fishing every bit of confetti out when loading the round ball cartridges, you will have a much better outcome. My conical load very good as I have modified my revolvers in the rammer area to accept them straight on. The conical may shave a ring but most of mine do not instead they swedge into the cylinder chambers.

I also melt lube and dunk the boolit cartridge end in the lube twice after loading the paper cylinders with powder and glued the bolts into the paper and allow ‘em to dry which gives plenty of lube even tho the lube seems to have crumbled off When loading into the pistol.

dimes to donuts tho … you are leaving lead in the cylinder mouths and this is what is jamming you up. Or maybe those balls are not seated clear under the chamber mouth and the ball/conical is the culprit in your jams but id bet against the paper making your jam … maybe a chunk of the lead ring burned inside a piece of paper. Maybe another thing to look at is are the booklets jumping forward in the chambers under recoil and doing the jam. Might need to use the .380 balls to keep ‘em from jumping forward and providing your jam problems.

My two cents and its worth exactly what you just paid for it.

Latest posts

Back