• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder BOOM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab44

32 Cal
Reaction score
Heres a little story about how to get a black powder tattoo. I was at shooting bench with an 1858 4 1/2-5 inch pocket style Remington 44 cal. I usually have paper pre rolled cartridges and loaded up. But there was one free 44 ball loose so I used my flask and loaded as as usual (without paper cartridge) Now I usually put the flask off to the left hand side of my gun and me but for some unknown reason I laid it on the right side. Closer to gun. Now here is the curious part I laid it with the tubr facing me and gun not pointed ahead. Oh I can hear you guys now about Fate and black powder. Now I have a box cardboard with 30 rounds of paper cartridges left way off to left side. As well I had decided to sit (old guy with sciatica bugging me ) at bench making the gun about six inches from the flask. I crack off three rounds and the fourth and BOOM. A stray spark managed to fly from muzzle and down the tube on flask and a few black powder bits residue from load were there. They blew and then the flask blew, ripped open and the flash lit my cloth laying on bench, sunburned my hand. Oh its's not over yet. The fire and flash jumped into cartridge box an burned 30 rounds. BOOM BOOM Big BOOM. They did not shoot as no compression just burned up and gave me a sunburn as well. I am backed up from bench by now and my buddy is yelling What the ... are you ok. Yes lets clean up and call it a day. So watch out with black as this set of positions had to be just so to make it work. It could have been worse. Take care guys.

Heres a little story about how to get a black powder tattoo. I was at shooting bench with an 1858 4 1/2-5 inch pocket style Remington 44 cal. I usually have paper pre rolled cartridges and loaded up. But there was one free 44 ball loose so I used my flask and loaded as as usual (without paper cartridge) Now I usually put the flask off to the left hand side of my gun and me but for some unknown reason I laid it on the right side. Closer to gun. Now here is the curious part I laid it with the tubr facing me and gun not pointed ahead. Oh I can hear you guys now about Fate and black powder. Now I have a box cardboard with 30 rounds of paper cartridges left way off to left side. As well I had decided to sit (old guy with sciatica bugging me ) at bench making the gun about six inches from the flask. I crack off three rounds and the fourth and BOOM. A stray spark managed to fly from muzzle and down the tube on flask and a few black powder bits residue from load were there. They blew and then the flask blew, ripped open and the flash lit my cloth laying on bench, sunburned my hand. Oh its's not over yet. The fire and flash jumped into cartridge box an burned 30 rounds. BOOM BOOM Big BOOM. They did not shoot as no compression just burned up and gave me a sunburn as well. I am backed up from bench by now and my buddy is yelling What the ... are you ok. Yes lets clean up and call it a day. So watch out with black as this set of positions had to be just so to make it work. It could have been worse. Take care guys.
You are correct, and thanks for posting this information. Black powder seems to 'come alive' and 'have a mind of it's own' once it's ignited! As I stated recently here, our familiar WW1 and WW2 grenades had only 4 oz. of Black powder in them, and look at the trouble they could cause!!

Here is my black powder tattoo from a cookoff while I was pouring powder down the muzzle. Fortunately, we train to pour the powder while holding the cartridge tube by our fingers off to the sides of the muzzle.

The spots have faded but are still visible years later.

IMG_1198.JPG

By the way those little flecks of Black can be dug out or pricked out with a nice small needle. I know I have picked a couple of them out. Enjoy the shooting life. If you are cheap and bother saving them they still shoot lololol

Thanks, that’s a great reminder.
I’ve been shooting black for 79 years and thanks to great teachers have never had a problem, but I’m still ultra careful.
Closest was when a buddy ashed his cigarette into a near full 1/2 lb tin of Curtis and Harvey 3F, fortunately only dead ashes fell in. Was one of the old blue tins and as I was in Korea would have had some explaining to do, if not facing something worse.
Don’t remember taking the lid off but someone may have out of curiosity, there were 5 of us sitting in the tent having a few illicit beers. Needless to say I never left a tin out again.

Wow, old Murphy at work again. Glad you're OK.

I have followed my Mama's directives most of my life. Keep you mouth closed and your ears open. You will learn a lot by osmosis without the hurt.
While in re-enacting, I have seen fellows prepping BP blank charges near the campfire with ex-military cans wide open. I left pronto fast while giving advice to move the powder can away from the fire.

Thanks for replies glad to help. It is true "Murphy at his best" everything just had to be in the right place at the wrongest time. lol Needless to say it looked like the civil war there for ten minutes cloud of smoke was huge.. Good shooting guys.

Wow, old Murphy at work again. Glad you're OK.
Thanks for replies glad to help. It is true "Murphy at his best" everything just had to be in the right place at the wrongest time. lol Needless to say it looked like the civil war there for ten minutes cloud of smoke was huge.. Good shooting guys.

Latest posts

Back