• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder BOOM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the flask loaded?
Flask had about 1/4 black in it made quite a splash. Here boys I know you like pics so there is an example of Murphy at his best. There were also around 30 rounds of paper cartridges that vanished leaving on balls in the box. So TAKE CARE with black.

Attachments

• DSCN0009.JPG
    DSCN0009.JPG
    749.4 KB · Views: 0
Flask had about 1/4 black in it made quite a splash. Here boys I know you like pics so there is an example of Murphy at his best. There were also around 30 rounds of paper cartridges that vanished leaving on balls in the box. So TAKE CARE with black.
I’m glad you are okay after that!

It would have been worse if the flask had been full!

A very good cautionary tale. I will take it to heart, too.

I admit I have a small priming horn with 3F in it that I sometimes lay on the bench nearby when shooting my Charleville. Sometimes I even sit at the bench when firing and — we know how much of a flash we can get with a flintlock....

I will be more careful.

WOW ! how'd the fire get into the flask ? Doesn't it have a spring loaded gate that closes off the flask ?

WOW ! how'd the fire get into the flask ? Doesn't it have a spring loaded gate that closes off the flask ?
There were flecks and residue all inside the tube and around the connections and when one went of it all interconnected and travelled by heat and fire up tube and all around the connection to the main powder. Just a fluke Murphy's law in action.

There were flecks and residue all inside the tube and around the connections and when one went of it all interconnected and travelled by heat and fire up tube and all around the connection to the main powder. Just a fluke Murphy's law in action.
Wow, about like getting struck by lightening.

Heres a little story about how to get a black powder tattoo. I was at shooting bench with an 1858 4 1/2-5 inch pocket style Remington 44 cal. I usually have paper pre rolled cartridges and loaded up. But there was one free 44 ball loose so I used my flask and loaded as as usual (without paper cartridge) Now I usually put the flask off to the left hand side of my gun and me but for some unknown reason I laid it on the right side. Closer to gun. Now here is the curious part I laid it with the tubr facing me and gun not pointed ahead. Oh I can hear you guys now about Fate and black powder. Now I have a box cardboard with 30 rounds of paper cartridges left way off to left side. As well I had decided to sit (old guy with sciatica bugging me ) at bench making the gun about six inches from the flask. I crack off three rounds and the fourth and BOOM. A stray spark managed to fly from muzzle and down the tube on flask and a few black powder bits residue from load were there. They blew and then the flask blew, ripped open and the flash lit my cloth laying on bench, sunburned my hand. Oh its's not over yet. The fire and flash jumped into cartridge box an burned 30 rounds. BOOM BOOM Big BOOM. They did not shoot as no compression just burned up and gave me a sunburn as well. I am backed up from bench by now and my buddy is yelling What the ... are you ok. Yes lets clean up and call it a day. So watch out with black as this set of positions had to be just so to make it work. It could have been worse. Take care guys.
Sounds like you might be related to Mr Murphy 🤔.
Glad to hear you're alive and enjoying a very interesting day just packed with learning new things 😀.

Sorry about the accident, burns suck.

I never shoot and load from the same bench. IF I was forced to do so I would go home. I always load on the bench to the left and shoot off the right bench. Loading at a table behind the bench is a good idea too.

Any flask will have some gap in the valve. A few grains of powder in the spout is enough to transmit fire into the body of the flask. A spark that get into the spout will probably light the whole flask.

Glad you are ok. And sorry the price of powder being what it is made that an expensive show. At least it didn’t set off a tin of caps…

Seriously, thanks for reminding us . Most people wouldn’t admit they aren’t perfect.
I will freely admit most people aren’t perfect! But then I’m not most people… 😎

@ab44 WOW!! That could have gone so much worse than it did! Glad you are ok! I wonder if the experience will leave you with a flinch next time you fire a round?! Was this a public range?

On one of the many courses I went on during my Army career, the one on EOD is closest to me, coming before and after one my numerous tours in Northern Ireland. On the morning of Day 1 the EOD technician, a Staff Sergeant who earned the Queen Gallantry Medal as a Sergeant for work on UXB in the Province, demonstrated the effects of ever-increasing amounts of BP used as lifting charges under a few old helmets.

The four-ounce charge lofted the three pound steel helmet almost out of sight - more likely 300 feet - straight up in the air. I'm sure that many here have seen 'anvil-lifting' with their own eyes - a sport that is very popular in some states where TV is hard to watch....not a lot of BP can do a LOT of work.

Latest posts

Back