• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To heck with it loom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't care much for tieing the tails into a knot and fringe. Last couple I interwove and then tied off the fringes individually.(last photo)

Bill, as far as I know they are just regular yarn. Most likely polyester except the gold colored one which is heavier rug yarn. Just stuff the missus has laying around. It gives me practice till I get some wool yarn or cotton cording. I may give jute a try.

Bill, Move your string under the heddle peg , that will fix that problem. It will take you a few straps to get it right,just have fun with it.All I can say is, Tension is the key!!!!

I got a 66-inch strap and a book mark out of this second warp, using 10 strands of blue, four of off-white, four of red, four of off-white and 10 of blue. Once I started paying closer attention to tension, the band narrowed up to about 3/4 of an inch wide. It is not consistent, but it is much more so than the first try. Still have a ways to go to keep the weft from showing along the selvedges. The weft was Maysville cotton carpet warp, and it is strong stuff.
I will carve another shuttle, with a narrower opening between the prongs to help speed up the work.
Here are a couple of shots:

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0172.jpg

Mike, believe me -- if I can do it anyone can! These looms look waaaay more complicated than they actually are. That said, to turn out a precise, consistently tight strap with a complex pattern -- that takes real skill and experience, which my fellow Welshman Mr. Short Arm has in abundance.

Well, right now I got too many irons in the fire, and I just called aguy about a hand crank forge.
(Hope my wife doesn't leave me!) :rotf:

Good job Bill,After a few more straps work on the tension.Just have fun with it,after a few more you can start pick up weaves. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike, if the blower and gears are in good shape, it might just be worth that.

Lynn: I'll keep at it. I am using the same carpet warp for the heddles and they are collecting fuzz. Somewhere I have a big spool of B-50 Dacron and will replace the heddles ASAP.

Mighty fine looking set up Sir !! Would you happen to have a pattern or maybe provide measurements for it ??

Also, would something like that(if made larger) be good for making cloth, or blankets ?? Just curious..

I'm pretty new to all the crafting and all..

Thanks,

Tux

Back