• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To heck with it loom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Always wanted to try weaving my own bag straps, and couldn't seem to get the hang of Brett's card-weaving technique, so I built myself an inkle loom. I know, I know, these aren't much more than 100 years old, but I think the straps I will get off the thing will look HC enough, or hope so. Cost me about $10 for the oak board and dowel ...

IMG_0148.jpg

P.S. Plans came from Helene Bress' book "Inkle Weaving" and so simple I could even figger' 'em out.

Your woodwork looks good to me. I couldn't figure out how to weave anything much more than tieing my own shoe laces. That contraption reminds me of the difficulties of programming a VCR. I had my nine year old take care of that stuff for me. :rotf: Good luck with your thingie. Send pictures when you get the chance.

Bill, you have my respect and admiration. :bow: I couldn't use something like that if'n I even tried. :shocked2:

I bought one a few years back, and can confirm it's a great way to make straps, belts and sashes. My reaction after buying one was "why in the heck didn't I just build it?" Yours certainly turned out better than anything I could have made, and as a matter of fact better than the one I bought. Hats off! :hatsoff:

Stripes are easy, but I'm yet to figure out how to weave in a pattern.

nice woodworking .... neat looking gadget... how do you form the shed? (where the weft goes) is there some sort of beater, or do you use your fingers or something like that?

hard stand looms i understand (but can't afford, darn it) but i've never been able to figure out how you use this type of loom.

Nice job Bill,How many strap would you like to order now ? NO, when you get ready ,email me when you need help with heddles. I also have some good y-tube video that will get you started on the right foot. Take care my friend

Cutfingers said:
I have found that the Inkle Loom dates way farther back than 100 years and is historically correct going back to likely the 1500s.
True. But not in the USA...

Inkle loom with string heddles came in to the US 1923-24.Before that you have a box or tape loom with a rigged heddle. But you can weave this pattern on a larger loom.If you have a 4 shaft loom you only use one shift to make this pattern. But they did use this weave pattern for bands or strap. And this weave pattern is PC or HC

Lynn, really appreciate your offer of help with the heddles. I was going to use cotton carpet warp for these. Will pester you if I get stuck!
Linc: Thanks for that link to the Townsend clip. Very informative.

Bill,Get you some 50lb dacron line.Use a surge knot and then add a few drops of super glue to the knot.You will be good to go. Now use the cotton to get the right length for your heddles.When you get the length make a jig to tie up your heddle. Just have fun with it. OK my friend weave on........... Lynn

You're welcome Bill. It was my pleasure. So far I have made 4 straps and 2 sash's/scarves. Tweeking the loom as I go. I need to make a bigger and better shuttle. So that will be my next project.

Well, I learned a number of lessons in the past hour. First, some wool yarns aren't all that hot for inkle looms, especially if they have thick and thin spots. Second, I musta done something wrong warping the loom, as the knots connecting the various yarns got tangled in the heddles as I tried to advance the warp. Third, you want to keep on top of the tension from the very start or you get a wide, sloppy band at the start before it tapers down and firms up (see photo). Fourth, keep an eye on the tension when you pull the shuttle through to make sure the edges (selvedges) remain even and consistent.
I gave up after about a foot of weaving and figured I'd learned enough on the first band. You can see how sloppy and wide it was to start (right side) and how it tightened up as I went, with plenty of lumps in the selvedges.

DSCF0162.jpg

This is one of those deals that gives you a new appreciation for skills like Short Arm has. Reminds me of the first hour I spent working raw beaver hides with a draw knife on a fleshing board. Gave me a whole new respect for the trappers of the fur trade!

Looks kinda like my first few tries.But that's how ya learn.Each time will improve over the last.

100_0244.jpg

100_0243.jpg

Back