• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1728 French Lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millford_P

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,
Any experts on French or French style arms that know what this is? I’ve got an old lock plate that looks very similar to a French lock from 1728-1754… but I’m not really sure. I’m thinking of getting rid of the ill fitting Potsdam hammer of restoring it back to its original configuration.

The lock measures 6 3/8in X 1 1/4 in, just a tad shy of the 6 1/2in length this other French lock that I have in the final photo. It has a detachable pan.

Maybe it’s a dragoon lock, maybe not even French? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!
IMG_3507.jpegIMG_3508.jpegIMG_3509.jpegIMG_3510.jpeg

Well. First instinct is 1746, but the two holes behind the cock are a bit odd. Also the cock on the old lock is sort of mishaped, but could be just poor quality controll back then. Can You make better pictures of the marking ?

There were 3 distinct locks used by French arsenals between 1728 and 1754. The locks pictured have the overall styling. The 1726 was 6 5/16”. The 1746 had no pan bridle. The 1754 had the pan bridle returned and was 6 5/8” long.

Last edited:
The curve of the lock suggests it’s early. French locks are not my area of expertise but in general the lock plate shape suggests 1720s to me. Mike Brooks would have a better estimate.

Here is a lock from , what I was told is a 1717 French musket. The cock and frizzen have had some welding repairs to them (initiated by me).
Wood stock has been restored as it was made into a "sporter" long ago.

Attachments

• DSCI0056.JPG
    DSCI0056.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0057.JPG
    DSCI0057.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies.
What is throwing me off now, is the similar (but different) stamp that each lock has on the plate. It's a little fleur-de-lis with an H and L or I and H on either side. Looking at some photos of French locks online and in a few books I have, it appears that (at least in the early days) this was hand engraved - did some arsenals stamp while others engrave? Maybe the stamps are from a later date, or from an independent contractor?

Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 7.09.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 7.09.38 PM.png

Thanks for all of the replies.
What is throwing me off now, is the similar (but different) stamp that each lock has on the plate. It's a little fleur-de-lis with an H and L or I and H on either side. Looking at some photos of French locks online and in a few books I have, it appears that (at least in the early days) this was hand engraved - did some arsenals stamp while others engrave? Maybe the stamps are from a later date, or from an independent contractor?

View attachment 285960View attachment 285961
Stamps are often seen on earlier French stuff, with engraving taking over sometime in the 1760s.

Hi,
Any experts on French or French style arms that know what this is? I’ve got an old lock plate that looks very similar to a French lock from 1728-1754… but I’m not really sure. I’m thinking of getting rid of the ill fitting Potsdam hammer of restoring it back to its original configuration.

The lock measures 6 3/8in X 1 1/4 in, just a tad shy of the 6 1/2in length this other French lock that I have in the final photo. It has a detachable pan.

Maybe it’s a dragoon lock, maybe not even French? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!
It looks to me like a 1754 lock. The pan on those is deeper than on the 1728. These locks will have the maker's initials outside the Fleur de lis. I'm not familiar with those initials.

More pics....
Yours has been messed with so it is hard to say what it was originally. The lock is 1728. To the right of the side plate you can see where the sling swivel went through the side from the lock so without question this is either a 1717 with the wrong lock or the 1728. The 1717 did not have barrel bands and the barrel was pinned. The 1728 had barrel bands. If you can get the modern ramrod pipes and hand made bands off of it and can check the barrel that will help tell what it was.

Back