• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firearms ID - few markings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robrob91

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently inherited two muzzleloaders here in Missoula, Montana that appear to be pre-1865 and am trying to identify for possible future use. Both have 40 inch barrels and are 56 inch overall length. Both have non-rifled barrels and percussion cap locks. I have scoured the guns for any engravings, stamps or other markings and haven't found anything. There are few identifying features otherwise, besides some minor differences between the two firearms, as listed below. I have attached photos of each.

Firearm 1: Has a 9/16" end barrel diameter and what appear to be six letter/numbers etched on the stock. 1 barrel band.
Firearm 2: Has a 1/2" end barrel diameter and hand engraved design on the lock. 2 barrel bands on this gun.

Thanks! Rob

Attachments

• gun 1 lock.cap.jpg
    gun 1 lock.cap.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
  • gun 1 lock.jpg
    gun 1 lock.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • gun 1 overrall.jpg
    gun 1 overrall.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0
  • gun 2 engraving.jpg
    gun 2 engraving.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • gun 2 lock.cap.jpg
    gun 2 lock.cap.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • gun 2 lock.jpg
    gun 2 lock.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • gun 2 overral.jpg
    gun 2 overral.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
Those are monkey guns from Southeast Asia. Probably a Vietnam era bring back. Didn’t use a regular percussion cap, a paper cap was stuck in the hammer nose to set it off.

Latest posts

Back