• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dimick Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shump

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I just picked up this rifle marked H E Dimick on the lock plate and barrel. I'm a civil war guys, and intrigued with the 66th Illinois Infantry, who were equipped with Dimick Rifles. I know the history about them, but looking for someone who may know the maker of this one. I assume it's a reproduction. This is my first rifle of the plains style as I've only owned reproduction Enfield and Springfield muskets. Thanks for any help or reference.
1000009575.jpg
1000009576.jpg

I also think the lock is original. If a modern maker would take the trouble to mark the lock as an antique, they'd probably make sure the plate better fit the drum. This, from the photo, appears to have a large gap.
1000009643.jpg

Here is the underside of the lock. As others have pointed out to me, this was built by Bob Tingle. The barrel has the same breech plug as a Tingle used as well. He marked just about every part with his serial number on this rifle. If it is an original lock plate, he put his serial number on it to as seen above. So I'm a living historian by hobby, and we get our Springfield and Enfield muskets "defarbed". That's the removing of modern markings and replaced with period correct ones. I'm wondering if someone "defarbed" this Tingle to make it look like a Demick for that purpose or someone was trying to create a fake to pass as original. I'm learning here!

Back