• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tightening the jaw screw pushes the flint out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i see you are in Idaho. measure that ace hardware bolt for diameter and thread pitch and post it. i have a drawer with a few cock screws and if i have a match i will send it to you. If you are close to Bonners Ferry i can hand carry it to you. doubt i will be needing them.
I'm in the boise area, but I might be able to stop by BF sometime soon. the threads are metric M5 x 0.8

also, it's a traditions if that helps.

I'm in the boise area, but I might be able to stop by BF sometime soon. the threads are metric M5 x 0.8

also, it's a traditions if that helps.
i will dig around and see. pretty sure i have nothing for Traditions, but might have something.

dug around and came up empty.
chuck up that bolt in a drill and put a file to it until it is round on rop, cut a slot with a hacksaw , then use the hack saw to shorten the bolt. heat it with a propane torch until blue and Bob's your daddy! take about 30 minutes. more if you have to gather the tools.

Last edited:
If you have the correct si ze and pitch then your local Ace man should carry a pan head bolt that has the flat slot in it. Get 3 of em and begin shortening them till you get the correct length.get the correct flint and buy the leather clamp and cut to fit your jaws.

Look at your top jaw ... at the hole ... should be oblong so that jaw will fit all kinds of the correct size flints.

If that bolt is the correct size then your replacement will be an easy one. Just remove it and take it along to ensure the next pan head bolt will be the same size and thread.

Easy peasy friend.

i will dig around and see. pretty sure i have nothing for Traditions, but might have something.

dug around and came up empty.
chuck up that bolt in a drill and put a file to it until it is round on rop, cut a slot with a hacksaw , then use the hack saw to shorten the bolt. heat it with a propane torch until blue and Bob's your daddy! take about 30 minutes. more if you have to gather the tools.
I've found a replacement on RMC Ox Yoke. I'll probably buy one because I don't shoot all that often. Thank you!

A photo from the side, of the flint in question tightened into the jaw, will help. I suspect your flint has too much hump in it, is too pyramid shaped, or the boss at the top of the jaw needs to be filed at a very slight angle forward so the screw shank forces the front down more than the back.
Hi
Could you explain that a little better. Seems like a good tip. Not sure I get it though. What's a boss?

I had a similar problem, useing the think deer hide ,was the problem,wheni got some buffalo hide wich was thin but not like the deer hide it works!,also the suede side holds the flint much better,also slot the hole not a holw punch, then it stays at least all mine do,

Surely you guys know someone with some scrap brain tanned deer hide. I have never had a problem holding flints in place with that. Slick commercial leather sucks at the job.

Back