• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Threads on barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok fellow shooters.
I need some ideas.
Here's the problem.
I have a 1970s CVA Kentucky long rifle, my dad and I built.
I have always taken it apart to clean it.
When I clean it , these are the steps.
I unscrew the flash hole screw, take the nipple off, and unscrew the drum.
These are cleaned by hand.
Lately when I screw the drum back in, the nipple goes just past where the would hit it.
It doesn't align with the hammer and stop.
Unless you back it off just a hair.
How can I fix this? I thought I read somewhere there are sizing sleeves that will fix that.
Any ideas are helpful.
I hate to retire her but if I must it will become a wall hanger.
Thanks
Mark

3 options
* I have small sheets of steel shim stock,, from .002-.010 I have used to make my own shims for that repair.
You could always sacrifice a blade of proper thickness from a feeler gauge,,
* Another option is super clean and dry,, then use some Red Loctite.
The drum on these aren't meant to be removed.

* There are aftermarket "blank" drums available with no hole drilled for the nipple, there is a jig kit you can get to drill for the nipple after the drum is installed

Removing the drum is totally unnecessary for proper cleaning.

And every time you retighten the drum it's going to clock farther and farther clockwise.

Clean barrel and drum threads with acetone.

Apply RED Loctite to the drum threads and install.

Index drum, with hand pressure only, until the nipple is square to the hammer face.

Allow to cure for 24 hours and go shooting.

And never remove the drum during cleaning.

Last edited:
3 options
* I have small sheets of steel shim stock,, from .002-.010 I have used to make my own shims for that repair.
You could always sacrifice a blade of proper thickness from a feeler gauge,,
* Another option is super clean and dry,, then use some Red Loctite.
The drum on these aren't meant to be removed.

* There are aftermarket "blank" drums available with no hole drilled for the nipple, there is a jig kit you can get to drill for the nipple after the drum is installed
Can you get the shims online?

I bought a cva hawkin rifle at a gun show that did not have a drum so I ordered a new one from Deer Creek and it lined up perfect when installed .So try getting a new one with good sharp threads
That's a million to one shot though.

The lead of the thread and the placement of the nipple left to right on the drum would have to be exact to line up with his existing hammer.

As the OP is not mechanically inclined, he's better off with RED Loctite.

Permanent repair.

You never know he could get lucky at least he would have good threads not warn ones .And they are cheap

You never know he could get lucky at least he would have good threads not warn ones .And they are cheap
I don't think he has worn threads.

I think he has compressed threads. From loosening and tightening over and over again.

Or the seating area between the drum and the barrel has been worn away by being compressed too many times.

Any shim he finds will be too thick. Which will retard the timing of his drum. Starting a whole new set of problems.

Loctite it and be done with it.

It always amazes me when people who don't know how to repair things refuse to listen to those who do.

The modern gun world we live in.

Good luck, OP.

It sounds like the treads are worn. I would replace those parts, and if they don't fit as tight as they should, I would be making a new drum that DOES fit. Locktite may keep it in position, but that won't do any good for the guy standing next to you when the drum lets go.
The OP has no idea how to do that.

None.

Or he would be doing it.

Not asking how to do it.

I don't think he has worn threads.

I think he has compressed threads. From loosening and tightening over and over again.

Or the seating area between the drum and the barrel has been worn away by being compressed too many times.

Any shim he finds will be too thick. Which will retard the timing of his drum. Starting a whole new set of problems.

Loctite it and be done with it.

It always amazes me when people who don't know how to repair things refuse to listen to those who do.

The modern gun world we live in.

Good luck, OP.
Well I must have ****** on you by mistake .I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers . And you don't know anything about me or what I know . If you say compressed threads then is that not the same as being loose ? And Loctite in my opinion for this is not a proper repair it is a Band Ade fix. But what do I know next to you I guess nothing you are the expert. But new parts should help in my stupid opinion.

Well I must have ****** on you by mistake .I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers . And you don't know anything about me or what I know . If you say compressed threads then is that not the same as being loose ? And Loctite in my opinion for this is not a proper repair it is a Band Ade fix. But what do I know next to you I guess nothing you are the expert. But new parts should help in my stupid opinion.
My feathers are not ruffled.

And I said nothing about you or your skills. Not in any way shape or form.

You may have an idea of how to perform this repair.

But the OP does not.

Last edited:
OK fine But you said in reference to my post about people who do not listen to people who know. So it seems that you were referring to me if not then I will just move on.

OK fine But you said in reference to my post about people who do not listen to people who know. So it seems that you were referring to me if not then I will just move on.
I was not referring to you.

Just trying to get the OP's rifle up and running the easiest way possible.

In my opinion Loctite is the 9th wonder of the world. With JB Weld being 8th.

Both would be perfect for a mildly over indexed drum.

My feather are not ruffled.

And I said nothing about you or your skills. Not in any way shape or form.

You may have an idea of how to perform this repair.

But the OP does not.
When this O P, needs stuff like that, take it to a smith. I am a surgical technician in an operating room, not a qualified gunsmith.
I have replaced the drum once. Had the smith do it and realign and drill for a new nipple.

It may be time to retire it.
Than I will have a reason to get a new Kibler smr in 45.

Can you get the shims online?
Typically something you would make from shim stock that would require you to have shim stock and a punch and die shim making set. Realistically you are likely looking for shims that are .001” or .002” thick. Search on line if you must and see what you find. And once you get your existing or replacement drum clocked to the correct position suggest you dispense with removing it each time you shoot and clean the gun. For reference, believe good old aluminum foil (the WRONG material for a shim in this instance) is around .003” thick.

But for what you are looking to do or repair, a ‘permanent’ sealant like one of the Loctite products is a good option, as long as you set it and forget it. Wish you luck.

Latest posts

Back