• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thread for clean out screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackAubrey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a new Pedersoli 1861 Springfield rifled musket. I want to buy some spare clean out screws, the little buggers are easily lost! Does anyone know what the thread count (?) is? JA

Jack Aubrey said:
I have a new Pedersoli 1861 Springfield rifled musket. I want to buy some spare clean out screws, the little buggers are easily lost! Does anyone know what the thread count (?) is? JA

Those so-called clean out holes are not clean out holes. :shocked2: They are a product of the manufacturing process for drilling the flash channel. Find a screw, put it in and forget it. Not necessary to remove for a good rifle cleaning. Often (usually) removing the nipple is not required.

Rifleman1776 said:
Jack Aubrey said:

Those so-called clean out holes are not clean out holes. :shocked2: They are a product of the manufacturing process for drilling the flash channel. Find a screw, put it in and forget it. Not necessary to remove for a good rifle cleaning. Often (usually) removing the nipple is not required.

In a way you're eight as a drilled passage for the flash.
But a good thoroughly cleaning of the gun does require it's removal.
Pumping action in a bucket of water alone will not always remove the crud in there.
May not have to remove the nipple each time, but the screw it would be.
Some other barrels use a screw in drum for the flash channel (CVA) rather than one soldered or moulded into place.And many manuals do call it a cleanout screw.

But a good thoroughly cleaning of the gun does require it's removal.
Pumping action in a bucket of water alone will not always remove the crud in there.

Believe what you will.
There have been countless millions of cleanings without messing with the screw. And many, non factory made, rifles do not have such a screw and they somehow get properly cleaning.
Do what you wish. I look forward to your post "I stripped the threads in my clean out screw".

They may not be made for cleaning and yes you are right, they can be cleaned without removal but sometimes it can help being able to remove it. If you don't remove it occasionally, (which takes only minimal effort) you won't be able to remove it.

I recently purchased an Invest Arms (Cabelas) in 54 caliber, it was made in 1987. From the looks of it, it had never been properly cleaned. The passage from the nipple to the barrel was so blocked with crud and the only way to get it really cleaned was to pull the screw and knock the crud into the barrel.
The angle has a 90 degree turn down there in the spark path, the clean out screw does give you a clear shot to clean the passage going from the apex of the angle into the breech area.
I replaced the screw with a set screw that I had in my stuff, it now has an allen head.

I don't take it out every time I clean the rifle, but having that access point sure makes it easy to keep the spark path clean.

If you don't remove it occasionally, (which takes only minimal effort) you won't be able to remove it.

That is the point. Don't remove.
I have two TC rifles which have been used competitively since the early 1970's. Neither has ever had the screw removed. They both have been fired countless zillions of times and cleaned, maybe only a jillion times :wink: . Screw removal has never been necessary. BTW, I don't often pull the nipple either. Not necessary for cleaning.

The answers from Rifleman1776, et. al. are correct, the term "clean out screw" is a misnomer. It is not put there as a means of cleaning out the flash channel, it is actually there as an expedient in the manufacture of the flash channel. Not all manufacturers put them there because they have a different means of forming the flash channel without drilling the hole that has become incorrectly called a "clean out" hole. It is not necessary to ever remove that screw.

While I usually fully agree with Rifleman1776, I do differ from him on the need to remove the nipple when you clean your gun. I am of the opinion that it should always be removed as a part of a proper cleaning. As for the "clean out" screw, leave it there and never take it out and you will never have any problem getting your rifle properly cleaned and you will never loose that screw.

if it was necessary for cleanin' then T/C wouldn't have started drillin' them from the offside & fittin' them with a blind plug.

My CVA is 35+ years old and the screw gets removed during every cleaning.
So I very much doubt you will see such a thread.
I didn't say they never come clean.
I said many times they don't, especially if you also don't remove the nipple.
But each to his own.

ccmountainman said:
My CVA is 35+ years old and the screw gets removed during every cleaning.
So I very much doubt you will see such a thread.
I didn't say they never come clean.
I said many times they don't, especially if you also don't remove the nipple.
But each to his own.

Perhaps these factory manuals are wrong http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/pdfs/lyc-ml-ds.pdf
pge 4 item rour
Gun Parts - 6030123 - Cleanout Plug $1.00
they say plug not screw but samething
http://www.deercreekproducts.net/uploads/3/7/5/3/37535295/sidelock_manual.pdf
before being installed
4.Lift the barrel out of the stock and remove the nipple or flash hole line
7.Pump the rod and patch up and down in the barrel, drawing soapy
water into the barrel through the nipple orifice. HELPFUL HINT: The
bolster clean out screw on percussion rifles can be removed for easier
cleaning. If this is done, be certain that the screw is cleaned separately
before being installed

TC Hawken says same basic thing hole plug screw
but since it is in the same place, it could also be the "cleanout screw"

Not trying to start an argument or flame war here.
Just showing the factory documentation does call them "cleanout screws" and recommend removal for thorough cleaning.
But as above guys, to each his own how you do yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always removed mine for the last 42 years. I will keep doing so just cuz thats how I was taught.

I did get a used GPR that I was not able to get it out of and do not plan to destroy it trying so may be the first one that gets cleaned with it in place.

Takes what , 15 seconds to remove and another to clean and another to reset? If we all did it the same it wouldnt be fun and we wouldnt be learning though??

As with all things, common sense must be used. I think the controversy started when TC found out that some people, would leave the screw until it was almost impossible to remove, and in the process, they stripped the head off, trying to get it out. Then they would send it back to TC, under a warranty claim. In order to stop, this nonsense, TC drilled the channel from the other side, and plugged it.

Think about this, If you let a nipple set a little to long after firing, you can get a good grip on it. However the plug requires a tiny screw driver or allen wrench, which can lead to trouble.

If you use anti-seize or other lubricant and are diligent in your cleaning process, you can remove the screw, with minimal risk, of messing up the head of the screw.

I think TC, came to the conclusion that, removing the screw, was too risky and unnecessary.

The same company that earlier said take the screw out, later changed the rifle to eliminate it.

I came to the conclusion (based on my experience as a machinist) to leave it alone.

Jack Aubrey said:
...anyone bothered to answer the question?
i haven't a clue what thread it would be.
:eek:ff i loctite mine in and never remove them :wink:

Your best bet is to remove the screw and go to a hardware store like Ace and find a match. I expect it to be metric.
I nosed around on the net, not easily identified, some folks suggested S&S firearms for a spare.

Back