• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on "Northwest Passage"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpl.Parker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am halfway through Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts. Anyone else read this book lately? Any thoughts you would like to add as to it's historical value? It is mentioned that the Rangers eat bologna sauage, pray tell what this is?

You dont have bologna (baloney) up there? Its a staple where I come from down here in the South of the good old USA! He right ... its everthing else ... plus the oink! :hatsoff:

Davy

IT's been years since I read Northwest Passage, however, there is little to no historical accuracy in the book.

Roberts books are good reads, but not good for historical documentation.

J.D. said:
IT's been years since I read Northwest Passage, however, there is little to no historical accuracy in the book.

Roberts books are good reads, but not good for historical documentation.
I have to disagree with you on that. I believe you may be confusing the movie withthe book. Though Roberts used considerable liscense, He did research it with a reporter's eye. In fact, he released a special edition that included his references.
Given the time period that the book was released, I'd be willing to bet he used a good deal of local folklore to color his tales; Though not viable source materia, It would explain the regional flavor that his books posess.

I agree with Skagan. Roberts did considerable research for all his books. While some details may be inaccurate (artistic license?), in general, it happened the way he describes it.

Cheers, Bill

I hate to read! period. But I did read this book the year I grad. H.S. 40 years ago. I tried to trace the Rangers route on the St. Francis raid in Canada. I picked up my interest in the Colonial era from my Father and his side kick Ralph, Whom we vacationed every year in the northern part of Lake George. I don't think there's an historical marker within 100 miles of Ticonderoga that we missed. My father had us stop the car, get out and read it with our long family friends about the marker. I can still see them walking across some field talking and pointing, like they were actually involved in this historical event... I miss those days gone by.I wish he was here so I could tell him.

I've read Northwest Passage several times. Roberts paints a lovely picture of coastal Maine. I was born farther down east. I believe I have read that he did a lot of research, and claimed his pictures of the real persons he wrote about were accurate. The book was written in the 1930s, I believe, and a great deal of information about colonial New England has come to light since then. graybeard

Hey George F, I can relate,I lost my dad when I was 15 before I got into muzzleloading.I can just imagine if he was still here,He'd be right with me by the fire in calico and buckskin breetches...Mark

This is an interesting question .
I live about 149 km ( 85 miles ) west of Odanac
wich is called St Francis in the book/film .http://www.abenakis.ca/musee/
At school I never heard of the ranger's raid , it happened
after the batle of the plains of Abraham ( Sept 13 ,1759 )
so it had very little military importance .

I found the film so funny , I could not imagine that it
was made from a novel , I really have to read it.

Latest theory is that more rangers died on that mission
than Indians .

About the baloney , or Bologna sausage , the Italian name
is " mortadella " , the word is in use since the XV th centh.
but the recipe must have been different since the
name comes from the latin " murtus " wich is a berry .
The use of the word bologna in english is from 1815
[url] http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=bologna+&searchmode=none[/url]

Fine texture minced pork meat was labor intensive to make
before the inventions of meat grinders . The german name
" delicatessen " ( delicate- essen : food ) gives a hint that it must
have been rather expensive for soldiers rations . Sausages were well known but much less popular than meat pies .

So , I have doubts .

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry,

The book really is worth reading. I agree with your take on actual casualty figures.

Cheers, Bill

The movie has very little resemblance to the book. The book is a very good story. Covers a lot more than the raid on St. Francis. graybeard

Back