• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson center percussion lock with safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klondyke

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Thompson center lock that I aquired. It has a saftey built into the lock. I have not ever seen one of these before. Does anyone have experience with this? it came on a Renegade 50 percussion.

I believe you're confusing a half cock position (which is not a true safety) with a safety. You have something none of us are familiar with. A pic would be nice to see what you're describing.

I have seen a percussion lock with a safety lever but it wasn't a TC. Can't remember what gun it was.

This is the Thompson Center lock I am talking about.

Attachments

• 820F9820-0E26-4E78-9A71-B8977B7277EE.jpeg
    820F9820-0E26-4E78-9A71-B8977B7277EE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 24E5A49D-475F-499D-9A31-2120E87172F8.jpeg
    24E5A49D-475F-499D-9A31-2120E87172F8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • F6CB1934-3BDD-410B-82E3-45A2A0D23539.jpeg
    F6CB1934-3BDD-410B-82E3-45A2A0D23539.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Seen hundreds of TC locks but never one like that! Looks like an add on but have never seen anything like this offered for sale. Really interesting, thank you for sharing!

Never saw anything like this before! Looks like something that the legislature in California would consider requiring! I’m sure that feature would make shooting my Brown Bess a whole lot safer.

Definitely interesting. I was tempted to call it redundant, but I can sort of see a use case for it. I'm imagining stand hunting at close range. Going from half to full cock generates movement and noise. Perhaps here, the idea is you keep the rifle on full cock with the safety on. On approach, you give the safety a quick thumb flick. Faster, quieter, and less movement.

@Klondyke, you may have the only one in existence. It appears to be a gunsmith modification.

Can we see the inside of the lock plate? The top view doesn't show me how the safety works.
I will generate a video for this and post soon. I have shot this type of muzzleloader for years, repaired locks and have built, and repaired them. Never have I seen one of these. Maybe it is a prototype. Indeed it is rare.
Blessings to all.

I'd like to see the inside too. Based on the pictures the bridle is extended rearward. The safety lever is attached to a shaft. The shaft has a flat spot to allow the sear arm to pivot as usual. With the safety on, the shaft has the flat rotated away and the sear arm is blocked.

Interesting, I am not sure what is accomplishes. IF I understand it correctly, the tumber is not locked in place. A person who was unfamiliar might try to cock with the safety on. That could damage the sear and tumbler.

Lets see the guts. : )

Back