• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Big Boar Debut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzman

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I bought a used Big Boar in excellent condition recently for $200. I'm new to this forum but I've been shooting muzzleloaders for about forty five years. I have several caplocks and a couple flintlocks as well as a Colt re-issue Pocket Navy, Ruger Old Army and a Remington 1858 replica...I've been shooting the Remington since my folks gave it to me for my eighteenth birthday...I am fifty nine.

I have wanted a .58 or better mountain rifle for quite a while. I have a Zoli "Zouve" that a friend gave me in 1973 but always wanted a big bore capable of taking heavy charges.

I took the Big Boar to the range and shot it on the fifty yard line. I used .570 Hornady balls with prelubed .018 patches and 100gr of Triple Seven FFG... It put all the shots at about twelve o'clock, three to four inches above the bullseye... The group ran about three inches...I was pleased for the first range session. I enjoyed the experience of shooting this big rifle! It's definitely a keeper.

What brand is it? I have a few hawkins by Cabelas in .58 that will do 1-2 inchs at 50 yds. I only shoot 70 grains pwdr.

Pop killed his bull buffalo with his (now mine since he is with the buffalo) and he shot a hornady 525 gr bullet with 70 grains, went through one shoulder and we found it against skin of the other. Down in 3 leaps! Have fun!

Frizzman said:
...570 Hornady balls with prelubed .018 patches and 100gr of Triple Seven FFG....

That's essentially what I shoot from mine, though with Goex 2f. According to the Triple Seven folks, it's a little hotter for perhaps an equivalent to 110 grains of Goex. Also a good load, but you're getting into the terrain where I feel the Big Boar comes back a little stiff. Can't say yours will be like mine in all respects, but my accuracy load is 80 grains of Goex 3f with a .570 ball.

Good price on yours, BTW! Welcome aboard.

I use a .018 lubed patch around a .570 RB. 90 gr of 2F KIK powder.
Get around a 2 inch group at 50 yds. Going to increase my POI out to 75 yds next spring.

Yes, I was aware that was pretty potent load. My group size reflected the combination of my aging eyes and iron sights. I did back the charge down to 80gr for last couple of shots. I didn't find the recoil too bad with the heavier loads. The recoil pad helped and the stock fits me well...A lot easier than my Ruger #1 Tropical in .458...lol...I shoot a round or two of that and that's enough for the year...The Big Boar provides the big gun fun without the pain...I believe the previous owner set the sights for 75 yds with PRB and 100 gr of Pyrodex.

I have a Investarms 58 with a 1 in 48 twist barrel that absolutely loves 110 grains of real black powder 2F and the 570 PRB. I patch it tight with .018 patches. It shoots well with lighter loads but this load halves those groups.

It does kick a might though! Geo. T.

Frizzman said:
I believe the previous owner set the sights for 75 yds with PRB and 100 gr of Pyrodex.

Dunno where you're located, but that's perfect for my woods. It's around an inch high at 50 and 4-5" low at 100 when sighted at 75.

Get this- I found a brand new T/C Big Boar at a consignment shop for $100! I bought it for a friend of mine who was just getting into ML. Man I could kick myself for letting it go! :cursing:

I live in a part of the state where 75yds would be considered a long shot so, I agree the sights are about right for elevation and perfect at twelve O'clock groups with six O'clock sight picture...I was very pleased to get this great rifle for $200! The amazing thing to me is that it was up for sale on a statewide gun trade/sale sight for a good while before I noticed it...It seems the only thing most people are looking for are those ghastly inline things...But, more's the better for we who enjoy shooting real muzzloaders.

Congratulations on your new Big Boar. Just out of curiosity, do you find seating PRBs in your Big Boar more difficult than other muzzle loaders? I have tried the same load and even a .565 ball and it is still very difficult for me to seat the PRB. My .54 Renegade loads easy by comparison.

Sorry, I've been away for a while so the answer to the last question it yes...It takes a fair amount of pounding on the ball starter to get it into the muzzle. I've been shooting it with Triple Seven so there isn't much fouling to deal with. If I thought I would have to do a quicker reload in the field, I would try another load.

4570Tom said:
...do you find seating PRBs in your Big Boar more difficult than other muzzle loaders?

I have two Big Boars and both like the same load for general deer hunting- 90 grains of 3f Goex or 100 grains of 2f Goex under a .570 RB with a .018 ticking patch lubed with TOW mink tallow. Starting the ball in either just requires a firm smooth shove on the short starter button, then a fairly easy push with either the rod (choked up short) or the longer stem on my short starter.

I also cast .562 balls for my GRRW Hawken, and have tried them in the Big Boars. Waaaay too loose with ticking. I can start them with heavy thumb pressure and no short starter at all.

Have you shot the smaller loose balls. I have read posts that say that they shoot well.

Geo. T.

Geo T said:
I have read posts that say that they shoot well.

I shot a lot of them before getting a .570 mold to go with my .562. Shot a lot of Hornady .570's early on too. Going to the .570's shrank groups from the .562 average of 2.5-3" down to 1.5-2". Not enough to be meaningful really. I wouldn't feel hamstrung at all using the .562's for hunts. Truth be known it's kinda nice not to lug a short starter.

I know this is a different subject but I cone all my RB barrels ,I can insert the PRB with my thumb and load easily with the rod choked of course,that is in my 50,54,and 58 cals,makes for some fast reloads,some say coning will have some change in accuracy but mine did not change at all,I use a Woods coning tool.

Latest posts

Back