• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big ivory front sight for Sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The set up on my Sharps carbine is a Marble "Bullseye" rear sight Brownell's #579 000 164
the front sight is a 1/16 ivory bead there are three different heights. All these numbers are from Brownell's catalog #72 page 303
I have no idea about availability.
My suggestion is to make a temporary sight out of a thin piece of brass in an "L" shape taped to the barrel. Cut and try until you are sighted in for elevation at whatever yardage you choose and then figure the front sight height.
to calculate correction divide the sight radius in inches by the range in inches and that number will give one inch correction at that range.
579 105 032 which is .500" high
579 105 332 which is .538" high
579 105 732 which is .570" high
This height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight. I think mine is the last one but I am not sure.
With the Moose Mould ring tail bullet and 45 grains FFFg using the Hahn tube and RWS musket cap was, with the rear sigh down, about 6" low at 50 yards.. This is a target load not a hunting load.
I hope this helps
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

The set up on my Sharps carbine is a Marble "Bullseye" rear sight Brownell's #579 000 164
the front sight is a 1/16 ivory bead there are three different heights. All these numbers are from Brownell's catalog #72 page 303
I have no idea about availability.
My suggestion is to make a temporary sight out of a thin piece of brass in an "L" shape taped to the barrel. Cut and try until you are sighted in for elevation at whatever yardage you choose and then figure the front sight height.
to calculate correction divide the sight radius in inches by the range in inches and that number will give one inch correction at that range.
579 105 032 which is .500" high
579 105 332 which is .538" high
579 105 732 which is .570" high
This height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight. I think mine is the last one but I am not sure.
With the Moose Mould ring tail bullet and 45 grains FFFg using the Hahn tube and RWS musket cap was, with the rear sigh down, about 6" low at 50 yards.. This is a target load not a hunting load.
I hope this helps
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk
Why the 164 instead of the 163WB ?

Why the 164 instead of the 163WB ?
Sorry Cap. I don't have my Brownell's at hand so I can't translate that number.
My rear sight is the long base (tang?) one for no particular reason. Since this is not a sub MOA rifle the adjustable one was not needed.
I suspect that a front sight just a bit shorter would have put me center with that target load. That front sight I used is the tallest one and that also was a guess.
But since my rear sight is all the way down one step up on the ramp should have me close to center. After the Smith gets dialed in we shall see.
Hold Center
(when you get good sights)
You
Hit Center
Bunk

Back