My 2 Thompson center Big Boars came in

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

ppg1949

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice score! Have fun and let us know how they shoot with rb’s and conical. Thanks for sharing.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Even better. I'd much rather buy from a guy on a forum than from where I suggested to you.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Fine hunting arms there! I love the challenge of a single shot, I like to be different, I have hunted "bucks only" season with my muzzle loader. With the .58 no need for even a bullet, PRB will be more than enough.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Fine hunting arms there! I love the challenge of a single shot, I like to be different, I have hunted "bucks only" season with my muzzle loader. With the .58 no need for even a bullet, PRB will be more than enough.
A .58 loaded with a roundball is the only caliber that I have gotten consistant pass through on giant wild hogs. My .54 with rb would kill them but on hogs 300 lbs and up I did not get pass through unless I used a conical. My .58 give me that as well as my pedersoli kodiak double .72. My renegades with rebored .58 barrels gave me pass through but they are bulkier than these big boars

Grimord

Fyrstyk
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't the T/C Big Boars just Renegades with a single trigger and a .58 barrel? Can't imagin that T/C made a separate rifle just for the .58.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
these are alot lighter then my renegades it reminds me of a longer white mountain carbine

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
TC made all kinds of models until that 1997(?) fire burned down their factory/warehouse.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howie,

Pretty neat on the .58 round ball over penetrations. So looking forward to hunting again.

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
these are alot lighter then my renegades it reminds me of a longer white mountain carbine
Kind of surprised about the weight. Had a TC Big Bore years ago and remember it weighing about the same as a Renegade with a Bobby Hoyt 58 caliber rebore, though I don't have the exact weight my Big Bore in front of me, I know the 58 Renegade weighs in at 7.33lbs. Curious what your Big Bores weigh Only weight data I see on the BB is from an old Dixie catalog, 7.75lbs.

The one I had was cosmetically near perfect, but had a QLA barrel that I believe was the cause for it's inherent inaccuracy. The QLA was significantly off center from the actual bore. Was going to open it up and center it on a lathe, but someone I knew wanted it real bad, and he got, even after telling him about the accuracy concern. At the time I already was plenty happy with my percussion and flint Hoyt rebores so it made sense.

Looking forward to hear how your new toys shoot.

cwsonvet

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Finally! My big boar 58s came in. Both very nice. I've wanted one for years now I have 2. I'll shoot both rb and maxiball conicals to see which each likes I plan on using these for giant hogs
I have had excellent performance using a CW Minie Bullet from a LEE mould.

MountainSmoke

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Those are awesome! I have always been intrigued by those rifles. Congrats!

Griz44Mag

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of surprised about the weight. Had a TC Big Bore years ago and remember it weighing about the same as a Renegade with a Bobby Hoyt 58 caliber rebore, though I don't have the exact weight my Big Bore in front of me, I know the 58 Renegade weighs in at 7.33lbs. Curious what your Big Bores weigh Only weight data I see on the BB is from an old Dixie catalog, 7.75lbs.

The one I had was cosmetically near perfect, but had a QLA barrel that I believe was the cause for it's inherent inaccuracy. The QLA was significantly off center from the actual bore. Was going to open it up and center it on a lathe, but someone I knew wanted it real bad, and he got, even after telling him about the accuracy concern. At the time I already was plenty happy with my percussion and flint Hoyt rebores so it made sense.

Looking forward to hear how your new toys shoot.
You are correct. I have owned bth and the only difference I could find was the single trigger and the stamp on the barrel.
I was also warned not to get heavy with the loads, as the thinner barrel was marginal on the safety side with heavy loads.
That was the primary reason I sold those 58's and opted for the heavier barrel for a 58.

Latest posts