• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This Poor Renegade had to come home with me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After more examination of this barrel. I believe it has a bad spot in the breech area. My cotton flannel cleaning patches kept getting torn. But at first I thought it was me putting to much pressure when the patch got down near the patent breech. After much scrubbing, I dried the bore out and ran a clean lubed patch down, sure enough the bore is very rough before the breech. This rifle was loaded when I got it, so that might explain the rough patch. And it may shoot well like it is, but it won't have the opportunity. I just got off the phone with Mr. Hoyt and I'm going to send the barrel to him and he is gonna make a smooth bore out of it for me. He said we can go 56, 58, or 62. I plan to shoot ball, and shot out of it. So what would be the best caliber / gauge to punch it to? Considering all variables. It doesn't seem that components for any of them are too hard to get.

I wanted to get the fitting done today so I can pack and ship the barrel to Mr. Hoyt to be reamed to a smooth bore. I got the extra 2 lbs of wood removed and everything fitting really good and sanded the stock to 150. More sanding tomorrow. Then I can start working on the metal parts. Removing the old bluing, etc. There is quite a bit of work I have to do to the hammer, it has a good bit of pitting all over it.
KIMG0720.jpg
KIMG0721.jpg

SUCCESS!! I got the nipple out! WHEW! That bolster is interesting the way it almost wraps around the dang nipple. I mean what were the engineers at T/C doing, passing the bong around, (insert talking while holding breath) " HEY MAAAN, you know we should make that bolster kinda like a pocket maaaan, so only our special T/C licensed nipple wrench can get in there maaaan" :D

Of course, I would appreciated ya'lll being here for the whole ride.

That was how the Hawken bros. made their patent breech plugs (T-C's version, anyway), referred to as the snail. No screw-in bolster, it was cast into the BP itself. When you clean it, use a brush for .357 to get into the patent breech.

Now a question for those who know! is the Renegade stock the same as that for the Pennsylvania Hunter? It sure looks like it. My PA Hunter came to me with lots of tacks and other stuff done to it. I have done my best to repair the damage but sometimes think it would be nice to get a different stock on Evil Bay for it.

~WH~

There is quite a bit of work I have to do to the hammer, it has a good bit of pitting all over it.
If you need, I just called The Gun Works (541-741-4118) and asked if they still have T-C percussion hammers. I was told that T-C parts have been flying out the door since S&W closed the company, but they still have 5 of the hammers for $26.75 each. Might save a lot of frustration!

Also, I have had very good results using Laurel mountain Forge (https://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown.htm) browning solution for both browning barrels and bluing them. Instructions are on the web site.

~WH~

If you need, I just called The Gun Works (541-741-4118) and asked if they still have T-C percussion hammers. I was told that T-C parts have been flying out the door since S&W closed the company, but they still have 5 of the hammers for $26.75 each. Might save a lot of frustration!

Also, I have had very good results using Laurel mountain Forge (https://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown.htm) browning solution for both browning barrels and bluing them. Instructions are on the web site.

~WH~
Thank you very much for that. I will give them a call.

Rebel Bill. looks like a 56 caliber smoothbore. How does it shoot and hunt with shot? What loads for best pattern for No. 5 or 6 shot?
yes it's a 56 I have no idea about shot but I have the Mn. territorial 100yd record for a sighted smooth bore with a score of 44 5 shots my load is .545 hand cast rb .015 -.018 wonder lubed pillow ticking over 70grains of 3f goex

That was how the Hawken bros. made their patent breech plugs (T-C's version, anyway), referred to as the snail. No screw-in bolster, it was cast into the BP itself. When you clean it, use a brush for .357 to get into the patent breech.

Now a question for those who know! is the Renegade stock the same as that for the Pennsylvania Hunter? It sure looks like it. My PA Hunter came to me with lots of tacks and other stuff done to it. I have done my best to repair the damage but sometimes think it would be nice to get a different stock on Evil Bay for it.

~WH~
I believe that the penn. hunter is the same as the black mountain magnum if its a octagon barrel if not its the same as the new englander both are a 15/16" rather then a 1" barrel

I just read an interesting post on a wood working forum. The fella says he fills the grain on woods like Black walnut by wet sanding the stock with straight BLO. Of course the drying time will be longer than products like the Birchwood Casey Filler. Anyone ever try this? I may try it.

The barrel went out this morning to be reamed to a 56 or 58 cal smooth bore. I went conservative rather than punching it all the way to a 20 gauge. That way if in the future something arises there is still enough barrel to make changes.

Working on metal parts today. Like the rest of the rifle there was no prep work done on anything. So lots of pitting and some parting lines to remove on the trigger guard. I can not make up my mind what finish I want to put on the metal. I know I don't want to blue it. I'm having a hard time deciding between brown and like Super Blue or Jax Black rubbed back.
KIMG0752.jpg
KIMG0753.jpg
KIMG0754.jpg

Last edited:
Back