• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frankenrifle T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Warning: This post may not be for the faint of heart, real gunsmiths, gun builders, TC collectors or snobbish curmudgeons. šŸ˜‰

I went in to the local gun shop today to pick up a leather strap. While I was there, the owner offered me this Thompson Center Renegade 50 caliber for $150. I thought, shucks, itā€™s worth that in parts.
2EDCFE20-D16C-44C1-B5A8-B47C25439E8E.jpeg
When I got home I realized the barrel had issues I didnā€™t feel like dealing with today such as badly rusted bore, buggered up crown and a stuck nipple which refused to budge. Oh, it will someday, just not today. At first I thought Iā€™d bought a parts gun until I remembered an old TC Hawken barrel with no sights which had been stashed away in the back of the cabinet for years. Other than almost being a smooth bore, the Hawken barrel was in much better shape. So I took sights and other parts off the Renegade barrel and put them on the Hawken barrel which went right in the Renegade stock after I shortened the under rib. Since the rifling is purty much gone I think this will be a .50 caliber percussion shotgun. I also replaced the ugly yellow, plastic looking ram rod.
D33266D7-1587-4899-AAFF-978A4D2C975C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep you couldn't go wrong there. Heck, you could have sold the complete stock on fleabay and made a quick hundred bucks. But I'm glad you did what you did with it. Looks good to me. Now you could send both barrels to Mr. Hoyt and have a couple other options. Say, a .58 rifle and a slick little twenty gauge...

Latest posts

Back