• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'New' Renegade, need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
No, I'm not asking about removing a ball, though there is that.
No, I didn't fail trying to pull it out.
No, I didn't drill a hole through it.
And I didn't even try shooting it out.

Here's the story - at least the way I got it.

The guy was selling the rifle for a friend's widow. He's not a BP guy. He said the bore was rusty, but ran a brush through it and it was cleaning up. The pictures didn't show how rusty everything was. And forget about cleaning up the bore! It's a sewer pipe - no rifling visible whatsoever! However, I'm not upset as the rest of the gun was worth what I paid.

So here's the thing - it came loaded. I decided to grease-gun the load out, but there's so much rust the nipple only contacts the bottom half of its threads. Screwed a zerk fitting into the hole, but once pressure builds up, the zerk is forced out of the hole. The threads just aren't holding it.

It looks like I need to thread it next size up. Any idea what that would be? Is there some other way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

The next size up (for a standard sized nipple) would be 5/16-24. Track of the Wolf has several nipples in that thread size. Look for a nipple with the same overall length and cone height. One similar nipple is MRHH-S or MRS-S

The tap drill for the 5/16-24 is a Letter "I" drill size (0.272") for best thread engagement.

Have you tried compressed air or a CO2 discharger with a rubber tip to seal off the nipple seat?

The next size up (for a standard sized nipple) would be 5/16-24. Track of the Wolf has several nipples in that thread size. Look for a nipple with the same overall length and cone height. One similar nipple is MRHH-S or MRS-S

The tap drill for the 5/16-24 is a Letter "I" drill size (0.272") for best thread engagement.

Have you tried compressed air or a CO2 discharger with a rubber tip to seal off the nipple seat?
He's looking for the next size up thread for a grease zerk!

If the barrel is a sewer pipe, why are you trying to remove the ball, just toss the thing!

Whether it is a grease zerk or a new nipple, the next thread size larger in a National Fine thread would be the same and once done, @Dude will need a new nipple. The sewer pipe barrel can be bored up for new rifling, bored to a smoothbore or relined.

I will admit that a 5/16-18 (National Coarse thread) is also a possibility using a Letter "F" tap drill depending on the zerk fitting that Dude finds.

The powder that is presently in the chamber should be flushed out before any drilling and tapping. A ball puller used after thoroughly soaking the breech with penetrating oil might also remove the loaded ball.

Last edited:
Thanks, Grenadier. That's exactly the data I was looking for. And, yes, I went through the same thought process of why even bother, but if I can tap the hole for the next size up nipple, then the rest is fixable. A rusty barrel these days is worth at least fifty or seventy five bucks. I've even seen them offered for more. I'd like to have a 1:18 gain twist .45 so this just might be the candidate.

Thanks, Grenadier. That's exactly the data I was looking for. And, yes, I went through the same thought process of why even bother, but if I can tap the hole for the next size up nipple, then the rest is fixable. A rusty barrel these days is worth at least fifty or seventy five bucks. I've even seen them offered for more. I'd like to have a 1:18 gain twist .45 so this just might be the candidate.
Would probably help to remove as much rust as possible prior to putting the grease to it. Less resistance is a good thing.

You could also try a co2 to blow it out. Try not to damage the barrel. It can be rebored and be better than ever!

Latest posts

Back