• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This Poor Renegade had to come home with me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked on the barrel some today. I removed all of the pits on the drum. I removed all of the bluing and draw filed the barrel to try and remove some of the pitting. As you can see there are a few deeper pits in the barrel. I don't know if I'm gonna file them out or leave them.
KIMG0684.jpg
KIMG0685.jpg

As you can see there are a few deeper pits in the barrel. I don't know if I'm gonna file them out or leave them.
KIMG0684.jpg
KIMG0685.jpg
No right or wrong either way, just depends on how fine a finish you want to end up with. If you do decide to file some more I'd suggest not overworking any one area, keep the flats blended evenly. It looks good to me.

I worked on the barrel some today. I removed all of the pits on the drum. I removed all of the bluing and draw filed the barrel to try and remove some of the pitting. As you can see there are a few deeper pits in the barrel. I don't know if I'm gonna file them out or leave them.
KIMG0684.jpg
KIMG0685.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240524_134300748.jpg
    IMG_20240524_134300748.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
What finish are you going to use on the barrel?
I don't know yet. I know the proper finish for this T/C is Blue. But I'm having a real hankerin to Brown all the steel parts. I love a good browned front end loader. AND, I'm also having to fight off the urge to send this thing off and have it bored to a smooth bore.

I don't know yet. I know the proper finish for this T/C is Blue. But I'm having a real hankerin to Brown all the steel parts. I love a good browned front end loader. AND, I'm also having to fight off the urge to send this thing off and have it bored to a smooth bore.
My Renegade is .56 SB. Going smooth ain't a bad idea. This thing is a blast.

I browned a Hawken years ago and it looked pretty good in my biased opinion.

AND, I'm also having to fight off the urge to send this thing off and have it bored to a smooth bore.
Or a 58 ball rifling!! 😀

It's luck that the original owner didn't do any more than they did. They would for sure have made a mess of it.

Looking forward to the end product 👌

There’s a really nice renegade at a local shop, it’s a 54. Very clean they are asking $300 for it. I bought a brand new but old CVA mountain pistol kit there, in the styrofoam and sleeve earlier this week. They wanted 300 for the pistol, I got it for 200. My first thought was what a beautiful rifle, I’d never seen one in person before. I had several thoughts on what I’d do to it, browning the barrel was high on my list. I love the look.

Or a 58 ball rifling!! 😀

It's luck that the original owner didn't do any more than they did. They would for sure have made a mess of it.

Looking forward to the end product
Yeah you're right, it is pretty fortunate that it was just assembled basically.

There’s a really nice renegade at a local shop, it’s a 54. Very clean they are asking $300 for it. I bought a brand new but old CVA mountain pistol kit there, in the styrofoam and sleeve earlier this week. They wanted 300 for the pistol, I got it for 200. My first thought was what a beautiful rifle, I’d never seen one in person before. I had several thoughts on what I’d do to it, browning the barrel was high on my list. I love the look.
They are very nice and handy rifles no doubt. It reminds me a lot of a .58 Cabelas Hawken Carbine that I had once. It had a chrome lined bore and all. I kick myself for letting that one go.

if you still have the cash, i would urge you to score that Renegade. I've rebuilt a few (my wife calls the Frankenrifles) out of parts found on line, at gun shows and the like ... now i have some really great looking muzzleloaders and i've had a boatload of fun in the process.

so, buy the rifle, fix it up, and go make good smoke :)

I purchased a renegade stock with percussion lock at auction for 50 bucks. I sold the lock and purchased a Colerain 20 gauge turkey chock barrel and installed a nose cap, ramrod pipe and tang sight. Made a nice little turkey gun. Just wished I would have went with octagon to round barrel.

Attachments

• P5252579.JPG
    P5252579.JPG
    376.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P5252580.JPG
    P5252580.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 0
KIMG0684.jpg
KIMG0685.jpg
If possible, remove that remaining pitting. It doesn't get better with time.

Rebel Bill. looks like a 56 caliber smoothbore. How does it shoot and hunt with shot? What loads for best pattern for No. 5 or 6 shot?

Nice job of draw filing. What cut of file did you use? A friend had Bobby Hoyt re bore his .54 Renegade to .58 and slow 1-60 (?) twist. Felt light and imagine it will recoil a lot more than as a .54.

Back