• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

They mock me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bombed out turkey hunting this spring. It’s ok, a bad day in the woods is better then the best day at work.
So I’m out on my exercise walk today at Wilson creek Battlefield. Taking a trail through the woods two turkey pop of of a hey field look at me and jump in to a fold on the other side. Both about a hundred and fifty yards away.
I go up the trail and they pop out again. Run down the road in front of me at about fifty yards. They went over a hill. I kept going over the crest and down a little saddle then back up hill. This is out of the hey now and in a pretty thick woods. Up to anew crest as my heap pops over there they are again. Just twentyfive to thirty yards, they pop right off in to the woods. As I pass that point the woods was too thick for me to see them but I could hear them laugh.

I believe those are a sub group of the turkey family known as "Jive Turkeys"!

I saw Turkey's everywhere before season this year, 30 at a time around my house.
Got all fired up, gun patterned, calls tuned up & practiced, took a week off work ECT...

TWISTED MY ANKLE BAD the day before season!
Didn't get to go one time!

I hunted all day one time. When I stopped to answer the call of nature, two turkeys walked over a rise about 20 yards away. There I was frozen midstream as they just stared. They finally just walked away. They were both hens though and didn't seemed impressed.

I hunted all day one time. When I stopped to answer the call of nature, two turkeys walked over a rise about 20 yards away. There I was frozen midstream as they just stared. They finally just walked away. They were both hens though and didn't seemed impressed.
One said " I don't like the look of the jelly necks around these woods" the other side " no beard....let's split"! 🤣

Yesterday morning walking the same route. The trail is the ‘wire road- telegraph road-overland stage road’. Up a long hill, make a break then uphill again, then a crest and downhill till a branch crossing the road.
Right after that second crest lo-and-behold a big pile of turkey feathers right in the middle of the trail, bit of blood sign, bit of gristle.
Fox?Owl?Coyote? I don’t know. But ‘Jive Turkey ‘ain’t laughing at me now.

years ago when i could walk alot i went for a walk at a rugged lip of a canyon 7 miles long. half way though the walk i had the feeling to look behind me. their they were, about 20 to 30 turkeys crossing the trail single file quietly behind me sneeking like a good indian. they are just 3 miles from my place now, soon they will show up here, they are welcome.

We had one for a while that crossed in front of the house each morning (730 to 930) coming back from the creek.
Hoping she shows back up.

I've harvested 2 Bears since I've lived up here (Ozarks).

Just wanted to mention how powerful a Modern .50 cal BP is...

This was back when I shot 150 gr powder (I don't anymore).

I was 200 yards up the the Mountain.
Shot it through the neck & it did a "Kart Wheel".

Exiting the opposite shoulder, it was a FOOTBALL SIZED exit wound @ 200 yrds!

Barnes 295gr Sabots.

265# Field Dressed Boar.

Unlike large game, small critters like nothing better than to "sass" people, especially hunters. When that happens they need a whipping of the "lead" kind.

The Bear I saw the other day was weakly...
You could tell it owed other Bears Money!
Had a Bandana, a couple of Tattoos, ect...

Just skinny & didn't look healthy.

A sad specimen to be honest.

I've got a friendly bear around here who likes to come out of the woods and get in my trash. With some chain, a couple of hasps and a some carabieners, the bear is finally flummoxed!!

Animals are out & about right now.
I saw a small Bear Sunday on I40 On ramp, Ozark, AR.
I was cleaning up some yard debris that had accumulated between my shed and a fence about 5' away. There was something big and grey that walked behind my shed. I think it was a pretty big ground hog. I see Fox's, deer, and just about anything you can imagine with wings in my yard including bald eagles. I had a perigrin falcon murdering anything that came on the property for a whole summer. I say murder because it would kill, rabbits, birds, squerilles chipmonks and just leave them on the lawn.

Bombed out turkey hunting this spring. It’s ok, a bad day in the woods is better then the best day at work.
So I’m out on my exercise walk today at Wilson creek Battlefield. Taking a trail through the woods two turkey pop of of a hey field look at me and jump in to a fold on the other side. Both about a hundred and fifty yards away.
I go up the trail and they pop out again. Run down the road in front of me at about fifty yards. They went over a hill. I kept going over the crest and down a little saddle then back up hill. This is out of the hey now and in a pretty thick woods. Up to anew crest as my heap pops over there they are again. Just twentyfive to thirty yards, they pop right off in to the woods. As I pass that point the woods was too thick for me to see them but I could hear them laugh.

I am actually a star in a number of deer cartoons..

Back