• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Rifle Shoppe and Others

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that the prices are outdated. I hear you need to have special skills to assemble these. Even experienced builders have reservations. Here is some great eye candy of the #587. This builder does not want to make another one. Lodgewood paddlebutt

This is really a shame to hear about poor casting quality and having to wait forever and a day to get something- especially since they seem to be the only place with many of the offerings they have for the more obscure subjects. 🙁

What’s the average delivery time for the Rifle Shoppe? I’ve been looking at their 1795 Springfield for some time

There are a few options for a 1795 spring.

My opinion the best option is an original, I’ve seen them auction in decent shape for under 3k. And if you want to shoot I it, can have the barrel re-bored or replaced.

Navy Arms makes a 1766 Charleville that can be rather easily converted to a Springfield with just a few markings removed.

Pedersoli makes a 1795 that is closer to an 1808 model, this can be also defarbed.

I’ve never seen Jess’s 1795 but I’ve seen is 1803, 1817 common rifle and 1842, those are his most popular US flintlocks.

the main issue with the rifle shoppe parts is the lock assembly, its a rather complicated job for most and the rifle shoppe is no longer assembling locks.

Looking at the Catalog from The Rifle Shoppe, it's amazing the breadth of offerings they have. Usually such a detailed, specific offering from a small company is due to the dedication of a knowledgeable person whose love of a subject is a major focus of their professional occupation. I've never dealt with them, and am not a "builder", but I have a pal who has a 1776 Rifle built from parts from TRS. I guess the point of my post is, we in the muzzle-loading world have much to be thankful for, for the small, dedicated army of vendors and craftspeople that keep us supplied with items that long ago dropped out of usefulness to the modern World! (The Army is developing military lasers for futuristic warfare, and we're still seeking Flints and Percussion Caps!)o_O

I’m on their list for a 1776 rifle.

However I’m using Ed Rayl for the rifle barrel.

Rayl’s 1776 barrel, has the closest rifling profile to the originals.

Rifle shoppe has been using rice and Colerain, their rifling is not the correct style.

I‘M also English walnut not american. All of these rifles were stock in English Walnut.

This is really a shame to hear about poor casting quality and having to wait forever and a day to get something- especially since they seem to be the only place with many of the offerings they have for the more obscure subjects. 🙁
I have never had a bad casting from the Rifle Shoppe. Their engraved castings are really well done. I have been pleased with everything I have received from them.

I have never had a bad casting from the Rifle Shoppe. Their engraved castings are really well done. I have been pleased with everything I have received from them.
Well that’s good to hear… I am on the fence about ordering anything because I have heard (read) a lot negatives, not to mention the wait times for things… Seeing many aspects of their website that haven’t been updated in years does not inspire a lot of confidence either. As someone who used to do a lot of mold making and casting of small metal parts, I know the process can be labor intensive…

I’m on their list for a 1776 rifle.

However I’m using Ed Rayl for the rifle barrel.

Rayl’s 1776 barrel, has the closest rifling profile to the originals.

Rifle shoppe has been using rice and Colerain, their rifling is not the correct style.

I‘M also English walnut not american. All of these rifles were stock in English Walnut.
I think I read that the first batch of 1776's were ordered from Germany during the Rev War. Did they also have English walnut stocks? Is or was Germany ever a good "walnut growing" country? Interesting.

Well that’s good to hear… I am on the fence about ordering anything because I have heard (read) a lot negatives, not to mention the wait times for things…
Wait times can vary depending on the items they have in stock, and how long it is before the next casting run. It's just hit-and-miss. But the castings themselves are very good. They must be cleaned up by the builder but turn out very nice. As for the locks, I build them myself. The lock castings come with small indentations to use in drilling the holes for the tumbler and other parts. Because of variations in the castings, the alignment points are not always in the right place. This can result in a lock with bad geometry. Best to take care of that yourself and not rely on preexisting marks. If you order a completed lock from them, they will use those marks.

Wait times can vary depending on the items they have in stock, and how long it is before the next casting run. It's just hit-and-miss. But the castings themselves are very good. They must be cleaned up by the builder but turn out very nice. As for the locks, I build them myself. The lock castings come with small indentations to use in drilling the holes for the tumbler and other parts. Because of variations in the castings, the alignment points are not always in the right place. This can result in a lock with bad geometry. Best to take care of that yourself and not rely on preexisting marks. If you order a completed lock from them, they will use those marks.
Thank you for providing some insights.

Latest posts

Back